Saturday, June 30, 2018

Day 254

June 14, 2018                                                                                                     Day 254

The alarm sounded at 04:40 am.  By 05:00 am I was in the house taking a shower and going back and forth on what shorts to wear.  Have I mentioned I hate shorts? By 05:40 am I was in my vehicle headed to East Falls Church metro station.  On pulling in and parking I grabbed my day pack full of my things for my airbnb stay and my water bladder.  Walking into the dark metro station was nerve racking and figuring out the card/pass machine was interesting.  Once I deposited $10.00 on the card I took the escalator up and ended up asking a lady what side I was suppose to be on.

Thankfully I hoped on the right one and got off at the Foggy Bottom Station where I then walked to the Fat Tire Rental Shop which wouldn't open until 09:00; it was now 08:00.  While I sat and waited a homeless man with a mental disability came up to me and sat down and started talking to me and himself.  He kept commenting on my looks and I felt super uncomfortable so I got up and walked away.  I feel bad for them but they make me so uncomfortable.  Finally, 09:00 came and I was able to get with my bike tour.

It was a three hour bike tour and we hit a majority of the sites I wanted to see such as: The White House,  Lincoln Memorial, Court House, Washington Memorial, The Capitol Building, Smithsonian Castle, Korean War Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial, World War II Memorial and the Old Executive building.  The tour cost $39.00 and I think it was well worth the money.  It was fun and relaxing to tour on a bike and the pathways were beautiful, the grass bright green and not too many people working/biking around.  The White House was okay but for some reason it was not as big as I thought.  My favorite stop was the Lincoln Memorial.  It was breathtaking.

When the bike tour was over I walked and navigated myself to the National Smithsonian Museum of Natural History to end my day within the city.  After passing through security I was inside and surrounded by people.  I walked first thru the ocean section and though I thought it was a great museum there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the displays so therefore I could not pick a good path that would allow me to see everything.  Also people were everywhere and a lot of them stood right at the display just talking about something else instead of moving away.  I did get a really good laugh when I was in the area with all the animal skeletons.  I was looking at an alligator skelton with its' dried skin above it when a woman asks, "Oh, is that its' exoskeleton?" HAHA.  Like really how stupid are some people!

Eventually, my feet were so sore I just could not walk anymore and Iw as acquiring a huge migraine from not eating.  I left and walked to the metro where I took it back to my vehicle. By now its as a little after 17:00 soI paid for parking and drove to Wendys to get fast food to hopefully help my migraine.   I talked with Jason for a little bit and then drove to the airbnb place  where I rented a room for an evening at $45.00.  This was my first airbnb and it was a success!  The bed was super comfy and the shower was fancy and modern with six knobs and it had a padai.   I showered and was in bed by 20:00.

The White House

The FBI Building








The Hope Diamond


The Natural History Museum


No comments:

Post a Comment