Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Day 207

April 28, 2018                                                                                                     Day 207

The sun was shining through the blinds as I woke up announcing a beautiful day.  I stayed in bed for some time until Jason had gotten up and made us some coffee and eggs for breakfast.  Once we were done eating we changed into our hiking clothes and got back on the pot hole laden road towards the Sinks of the Gandy.  They are a modestly celebrated cave and underground stream at Osceola in eastern Randolph County.

When we arrived the sun was out and it was clear blue sky; however, the wind was howling and we had dressed to get wet.  Walking on private land over pastures we arrived at the limestone entrance in a large depressed meadow.  I slipped out of my socks and back into my keen steel toe boots for I did not want to completely soak my good pair of hiking boots.  Had I remembered that I own a pair of Chacos I would have brought them but I forgot I even owned a pair.  With Daisy outfitted with a red light and both of us as ready as we could be we approached the dark entrance and took our first timid step into the stream.  The pain that came from how cold the water was immediate but the longer we were in the water the better it got either due to the numbness that occurred or our body getting use to the cold.  I would like to say it was more likely the former.

As we ventured further into the cave we saw a bat, a fish and I wish I had not looked up for the ceiling was covered in spiders.  We climbed about from rocks to rocks wading thru the water when we had to.  At times the ceiling was so low that we were on our hands and knees.  At one point, Jason had us both shut off our lights so we could experience true darkness which was remarkable.  While walking on a narrow pathway above the water Jason spotted a salamander I believe was a northern dusky salamander though I could be wrong.  To exit the cave we had to wade into freezing water up to our chests which although it was so cold it was exhilarating.  I thoroughly loved the entire experience and was somewhat sad it was over in an hour.  I would love to go back and do that again.

Back at his camper, we changed into dry clothes and shoes and as we started on the road towards Blackwater Falls we shared a beer.  Unfortunately, the dispersed camping we had planned to stay at was closed so our only other option was to head back to the Gandy Creek dispersed area.  First though we stopped at Blackwater Falls State Park to see the falls and snap some pictures.  Oh! I forgot to mention that at some point after the Sinks of the Gandy we drove up to Spruce Knob so that I could check out the wonderful views and West Virginia's highest point.  The wind up there was blowing something fierce but the view was spectacular! 

When we did find a campsite we parked and as soon as we walked to gather wood it rained and hailed!  In either case, Jason still got a fire going for us and we sat under the canopy drinking and talking about a variety of topics.  After some time had passed I cooked up some hotdogs on the fire while he heated up some chili sauce and we had a delicious but messy dinner.  It rained practically the rest of the evening but when it did let up some the smoke around the fire became so bad that we headed into the camper for the evening.  After we both had taken a shower we sat down to watch a movie before calling it a night.  It is oddly relaxing to have someone else to camp with and converse with.  It is definitely something I am not used to having but do enjoy.



The entrance


Blackwater Falls State Park














No comments:

Post a Comment