Friday, September 22, 2017

Day 102

September 18, 2017                                                                                             Day 102

This morning I woke up around 06:00 when the sun was just beginning its ascension into the sky.  Once I dressed and made my bed I stepped out onto the already busy road next to the Loves that was filled with truckers and noticed that Travis was gone.  As I walked to my vehicle he pulled up but stayed in his vehicle so I went about and made some coffee. During this I had texted him to see if everything was alright to which he replied he was good.  So once my coffee was made I went and sat in my vehicle.  I texted him I was ready whenever he was and began updating my Instagram when I received a text about five minutes later saying he was waiting for me.  I looked up and here he was gone so I put my phone down and joined him.  The last couple days I have been feeling like I am being rushed and so when we drove away I forgot I needed fuel so I quickly texted him I needed to turn around and fill up.

Once my tank was full we drove towards a sports store that would have the backpacking food I needed; however, it was not yet open so we sat in a parking lot..in separate vehicles.  I decided I was hungry and so I asked him if he wanted any oatmeal since I was making some but he was good.  So I sat in my vehicle eating my oatmeal and looking up sleeping bags.  I found one I really wanted but is way out of my price range.  It was the Feathered Friends Snow-bunting zero degree bag.

At the store we acquired what we needed and then figured out our route to Sequoia National Park since there was a vehicle length restriction on parts of the road and my vehicle was too long.  All day long I have felt a tension in the air but I was hoping it was just me being weird.  When we pulled into the visitor center, I became pissed for vehicles were parked in the only camper parking area when there were spaces available for them to park in so I had to wait until someone left so that I could park.  Inside we were told that we had to go to a different visitor center in order to figure out back country camping but my vehicle couldn't go up there so we would have to park it in overflow parking across from a campground.

Parking in the said overflow parking turned into quite the experience for there was really no where for a camper to park and then the workers there said I could not park where I had parked for their vehicles needed to go there.  Then I got quite irritated at Travis for he wanted me to give him my keys so he could park my camper.  That right there pissed me off for it was like him saying that I don't know how to handle my own vehicle and camper and to me I am a very self-reliant woman and I do not take kindly to anyone thinking I need help and can not handle my own shit!  I tried to reel in my temper but I'm pretty sure he knew that I was pissed. So once I was parked I got my backpacking stuff together and we grabbed a beer and got in his car to drive up the mountain.

At this new visitor center we were told that there were really only two long distance trails we could do and that the John Muir trail I was interested in was actually on the other side of the park.  So after some debate we decided upon a thirty mile trek with two nights in the back country.  When we were both packed we headed off on the trail; it would only be 6.8 miles to our first campsite.  As we began the hike, I knew it was not going to go well for I was in no mood to really hike and my legs felt like they weighed 50 pounds.  What normally would have been a decent hike turned into a treacherous trek that never seemed to end for I wanted to be at the campsite and be done hiking so desperately.

Eventually, we made it and immediately set up the tent and began cooking our meal of a texas chili.  We had eaten, were freezing cold and in the tent by 20:00 both attempting to share one mattress for I had forgotten mine.  I also have yet to get a sleeping bag so we were trying to share that also and I had on all the clothes that I had brought with me.  Oddly, I ended up sleeping directly on the ground and kicking the sleeping bag off of me at one point during the night and was not that uncomfortable and actually got some decent sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment