Thursday, September 21, 2017

Day 97

September 13, 2017                                                                                              Day 97

Needless to say I was up before first light and began making coffee and letting my oatmeal sit.  Thanks to my friend, Sal, my oatmeal is no longer boring and contains: chia seeds, quinoa, dried cranberries, honey and cinnamon.  While both my coffee and oatmeal steeped I packed up my tent and was visited by two island foxes which were adorable.  I was finished with my oatmeal, cleaned up, packed and on the trail by 07:00 with the sun just starting to come up in front of me. 

Hills, inclines, decline, up, down.  It never ends!  The whole hike was either uphill or downhill with maybe a half mile of flat surface.   Surprisingly after the first couple miles my body realized I wasn’t stopping and decided to dial in and get with the program.  If only I could always just skip to the part where my body adjusts and misses the difficult part.  The hike was absolutely breathtaking and there was a consistent cool breeze so although sweat was literally pouring off my arms I felt cool.  I saw another island fox and nine gambles quail; one of which didn’t follow the others and kept running in front of me so I stopped, for I felt bad, and let it disappear.  Then I almost made myself fall over for I thought I was about to step on a lizard and tried to miss it; here it was just a rock I had kicked. HaHa.

To entertain myself on the 14 mile hike when the hills weren’t too steep I would do intervals of tightening my abs for thirty steps then releasing for thirty steps and repeated that for around fifteen minutes upon which I became distracted with my own thoughts and lost count.  When I first started the hike and the sun was coming up a few tears welled up in my eyes for I was just so happy and could not believe that I am where I am.  I never understood people who cried from being happy for it just never made sense to me but being here in this moment I was so overwhelmed with happiness that I could now understand that feeling.

Before I knew it I was nearing the steep climb up Montañon Ridge where I had to use both hands at some spots to climb up. It was tough but not as bad as I anticipated.  With only one more climb up to go I stopped to snack on one of my delicious bloks (tropical punch flavored).  While up there I turned my phone off of airplane mode just out of curiosity and was surprised to receive messages.  I messaged Sal to let him know I made it to the island and my first campsite and then we proceeded to talk for some time.  I also messaged Luke and I spoke to both of them simultaneously then when I went to message my little brother to have him let mom know I was okay I lost service: how typical.  So with that I continued on my way and the view was stunning from atop Montañon Ridge.  From there the rest of the hike was all downhill.

Now, I cannot decide if I prefer breathing like Darth Vader and struggling for breath going uphill or if I would rather endure the pain in my knees as I go downhill.  Wow, I should like an old person! The hike down was rather boring for it was like walking on a road and it was really rocky so every step had to be done with caution.  The entire hike went by very quickly to where I thought that maybe I had miscalculated the distance but alas I did not.  So by 11:30 am I had hiked 14 miles in 4.5 hours and was at my campsite.

Once I found my campsite, I removed my shoes and socks which were wet with sweat and to my surprise I only had a few blisters and some worn skin on my ankles since I am not used to having high boots.  I put on my chacos and went about setting up my tent.  The campground was full and the groups of kids (okay so they may be close to my age; but still) next to me were very load.  I was not a fan of how close everyone was to each other but the grounds had porta-potties and drinking water which I didn’t need for I found out in the three days and two nights that I would be on the island I only drank 1.5 liters.   Once my site was set up I was once again bored so I heated up the rest of my dinner and had that for lunch/dinner for it was only 12:30.

As I sat there eating, I wondered what the hell I was going to do to pass all this extra time; especially, since I am now staying here tonight and tomorrow until 16:00! Had I known I would have hiked so fast I may not have stayed another night but what is done is done.  I walked around for a bit and meandered down to the rocky beach where I sat there looking out over the ocean.  I slowly inched my way into the water for I hate cold water and the water took my breath away though once I was in it was actually quite comfortable.  I emerged myself and then got out and sat on the beach some more until I was just too cold.  Back at the campsite, I sat at the picnic table staring off into nothing until I couldn’t take it anymore and headed into my tent. 


I don’t know if it is due to all the warm weather I have been in for the last month or so but I get colder so much faster now; even when it is only in the 70s.  Laying down in the tent, I had forced myself to stay awake up 18:00, I was uncomfortable and cold.  I had all my clothes on, my towel over my legs along with my hiking pants trying to keep myself warm but it didn’t work.  I tossed and turned all night long and eventually at 02:00 I couldn’t take it any longer and decided to just give up and get out. 






Eating my Blok!



No comments:

Post a Comment