Thursday, September 21, 2017

Day 95

September 11, 2017                                                                                                       Day 95

Last night I slept so well and actually slept in until around 08:00 and I felt amazing when I did get up.  It was a beautiful day out and I pulled on my jean shorts and dark navy blue top before climbing out of the camper.  I made some coffee and a sandwich for breakfast for I am trying to eat all my lunch meat and cheese now before I leave for the islands and it goes bad.  Speaking of my lunch meat this roast beef I acquired is by far the worst roast beef I have ever had and it is so difficult to chew!  Normal people may just get rid of it and buy different stuff but not me I refuse to waste it or spend more money.  

Once I called and reserved my campsite and the boat to take me to the island I walked down to the office to see if I could pay for another night.  Mike, whom I believe is the owner of the park, was outside talking to some people and he followed me inside the office where we got to talking about the homeless situation in Los Angeles.  I really enjoy talking with him and find it quite interesting and while we spoke his daughter and little granddaughter came in so I said I would let them be so they could spend some time together.  He verified that I wanted to stay another night and when I said yes he completely surprised me and said I did not have to pay!  He told me that my last night was on him for I am not costing him anything to stay and he wants me to save my money for my adventure!! I literally have no words for I still to this day can't believe it.  The complete generosity of it all blew my mind.  It just verifies that people can surprise you when you least expect it and I just wish there was some way that I could express how much that meant to me!  All day yesterday I was contemplating whether to pay for another night for it was more money than I was planning on spending in housing but my mom convinced me to stay another night even if cost me money.  So to have this happen…I am beyond words and just so completely and utterly thankful!!  Leaving the office, I immediately called my mom and told her the amazing news and pretty much nothing could ruin the mood I was in.

At 10:00, I drove to REI for I desperately needed to buy new hiking boots so I could stop losing toe nails.  I spent a solid hour or two in there trying on shoes, which I hate shoe shopping by the way, and finally settled on a pair of La Sportivas that I normally wouldn’t buy due to the futuristic look of them but they felt so comfortable.  I also figured that if they ended up not working out for me I would return them and get the other pair of shoes that I really wanted for it was between the two and it was a tough call.  I also acquired a pair of Chacos so that I could have camp shoes that I can cross streams in while backpacking.  I then went downstairs to look at sleeping bags but didn’t see any I liked so I made my purchases and headed to the other REI store that had just opened.  There I spent an additional hour looking for a sleeping bag and having the people there look for the three bags they were supposed to have in the store but apparently couldn’t find.  I give them props though for taking all that time and personal to look for the bags but I walked out of there with no sleeping bag and knowing it was going to a cold and uncomfortable couple of nights.


Finally back at my camper, I started packing everything up for my trip and also eating some food.  Once my pack was ready to go I then did my dishes and cleaned up in preparation for leaving early in the morning.   Mike stopped by for I had asked him if the water in the laundry room and bathroom were potable so that I could fill up my camelpak and water bottles.  I also gave my flight plan for the next couple days to my mother and to Sal in case anything was to happen.  Before heading to bed I spoke to my neighbor for some time and then called it a night and I have to admit I was quite sad to be leaving the RV park in the morning for this place felt quite homey. 

My little camper amongst the big boys!


No comments:

Post a Comment