Friday, September 1, 2017

Day 84

August 31, 2017                                                                                                           Day 84

When my alarm went off at 04:00 I was slightly confused for I don't recall falling asleep. My alarm went off a second time at 04:10 upon which I grabbed my shorts, sports bra and t-shirt and laid on top of them to warm them up before putting them on.  While I laid there waiting for them to warm up some a friend of mine texted me so I started messaging him and then got dressed under the blankets; throwing my pajamas back on over my shorts and also putting on my jacket.

Stepping out into the pitch blackness of the forest the wind was howling something fierce and it was quite chilly.  With my gun by my side I turned on my kitchen light and began making some oatmeal to eat while I drove down the mountain.  For some reason, I have always been hesitant about being in the woods in the dark for one can not see what could possibly be lurking in the shadows where the light does not reach. With my oatmeal made I locked everything down and jumped into my vehicle quickly as if something would grab a hold of me if I didn't move fast enough.  Driving in the darkness, I enjoyed seeing the city all lit up below me and had to stop to snap a few pictures. By the time I reached the Douglas Springs Trail head it was 06:00 and almost 85 degrees out.

The trail was easy going and there was only one section that was uphill and once again I felt lightheaded and out of breath.  However, the older woman had said it was a mostly uphill and difficult hike but it wasn't so which was a relief.  The hike was beautiful and due to a constant strong breeze I was at a comfortable temperature the entire time.  I saw so many lizards which I wanted to chase down and figure out what species they were; yet, I know that one should stay on the trail and leave as little trace as possible so I refrained.  Wildflowers dotted the trail in different hues of blue, violet, white and yellow and added a perfect contrast to the harsh plants that thrive in this climate.  The only downside to it all was that I had decided, of all hikes, to wear shorts and so my legs looked as though I had decided to walk thru a barbwire fence. During this hike I saw my first red-spotted toad (Anaxyrus punctatus) which was completely adorable! All in all the hike went really well and by 08:00 I had hiked 4.8 miles and was back at my vehicle.

There I made a protein shake with just water since I have now decided to not buy milk so that I also don't have to keep buying ice in an attempt to save a few dollars.  Before sitting down in my vehicle to look for a lake in which to swim at I changed my shirt for I could no longer stand the smell of myself.  Maybe I should take a shower.  I had no luck in finding a lake nearby that one could swim at for they only allowed fishing and boating for some reason.  I drove back to the visitor center to pick up a gift I couldn't get my mind off of and then drove to Walmart.  At Walmart I picked up some powdered Gatorade for I needed a change from just plain water.  I also picked up a razor for disposable razors suck and my legs have become quite hairy.  HaHa. Maybe I should shave and shower at some point soon for it has now been about four days!  It isn't because I haven't had time to set up my shower or warm up the water I just have been too lazy and figured whats one more day.

With no plan at all I decided to just start driving in the direction of Phoenix where there was some BLM land I could camp at.  The drive was extremely boring but the worst part of it was that I was tired and trying to stay awake was not going so well.  I wanted to get to the BLM land so badly so I could eat some food and get some rest:  it was only noon and already 106 degrees!  Lets just say that the BLM land was a no go for as I drove down the dirt road there were signs everywhere warning visitors about smugglers and illegal immigrants.  So yeah I don't think that was a good spot to spend the night.  I immediately turned around and headed back the way I came to find somewhere else in which to camp.

The next spot I had chosen was also a no go and so I continued on to the third place which also proved to not be what it said it would be but I stayed there anyways for I just couldn't do anymore driving today.  As I stepped out of my vehicle it was like stepping into an oven!  I opened up my camper door, vent and window in an attempt to cool it down some so that I could try to take a nap.  First, I fought off a fly that had followed me inside and once I had removed him I must have fallen asleep for I woke up an hour later in a pool of sweat.  Looking at the weather it wouldn't cool down to 77 degrees until 04:00 am! So I decided to cook the last of my pasta in an effort to distract myself from the heat. Which reminds me that my five gallon water jug is almost empty so I will need to get that filled up as soon as possible.

With the pasta cooked I sat in my chair, in the shade of my camper hatch, eating it straight from the pot to limit the amount of dishes and thus the amount of water I would have to use. Then I did the dishes and called my mom up to talk to her in another attempt to distract myself from the heat.  She was about to eat dinner so we didn't talk long and so I called up my grandparents on my step-dads side.  When we hung up I put the dishes away, wrote in my journal and pondered how long until the temperature would become bearable enough to fall asleep.  I laid in my camper, on top of the covers, with my legs hanging out the door listening to all the people who were at the shooting range that was near me and looking up at the night sky waiting for sleep to come to me.



I had a picture w/out my eyes closed but I liked this one Ha.

 
 




Morning drive.




No comments:

Post a Comment