Thursday, September 13, 2018

Day 311

Day 311                                                                                                           August 10, 2018


Waking up to a cool morning felt good even though during the night Jason had woken up to move the camper because the trucker idling in the lot next to us was bothering him haha I am amazed at how sounds bother him whereas I have just gotten used to sleeping no matter what sounds are around me.  When we both were up we had oatmeal and coffee while once again playing skip-bo.  After cleaning up we drove over to the Robert H. Treman State Park to do some hiking and see waterfalls.

Pulling into the ticket booth there was no one there so we continued on to the main parking area.  Once parked we discovered that we didn’t have to pay, and they only start charging the $8.00 admission fee at 10:00 am. SCORE!  So that was great news.  After we got Jason’s’ pack ready with only water we hit the trail.

We started on the gorge trail and would be coming back on the rim trail.  The walk was beautiful with waterfalls and moss-covered stone walkways.  On our stroll through the gorge we saw a beautiful black rat snake and many mushrooms of all colors.  The path was easy, and the waterfalls were stunning.  As we reached the upper park entrance there was a four-story old mill that we went into and learned how flour was made.  It was amazing that the original structure was still intact; unfortunately, like everything else these days people have carved into the old wood.   Afterwards, we slowly meandered back to the RV traveling through the “old gorge” and enjoying all its’ beauty.  In all we did 6.0 miles with 1, 259 feet of elevation gain.

At the RV, I made us a delicious shake which we ate with chips and salsa before driving out of the park and heading north in search of camping.  The area here is beautiful and rich; yet, unlike Vermont the homes are not so well maintained nor are they old in structure.  We were lucky however and found free camping on chicken coop road in Trumansburg, New York.  The site had a frog filled puddle entrance but was a beautiful spot that I wish we could stay at longer.  As soon as we were level and the slide was out I set up my hammock.  While Jason slept in his I read in mine in complete relaxation and I was actually somewhat cold.   It felt like Fall was coming though I hope not for this year has just flown on by.  After an hour or two in the hammock I started on dinner while Jason collected firewood.  Actually, before that took place I called my mom and found out that she got the job!!!! 

Dinner consisted of some kickass stuffed mushrooms that I made by cutting up a red-bell pepper and garlic and then cooking that in butter and adding alfredo sauce, muenster cheese and spices.  The burgers had mushrooms on them too.  The meal was so delicious, and we ate it by a perfect fire.  At one point, I went inside and saw that my dad in Florida had called me and so I called him back.  While talking to him I found out that him and his fiancé have set a date for their wedding.























No comments:

Post a Comment