Monday, June 26, 2017

Day 10

June 18, 2017                                                                                                                    Day 10

Today I woke up at the same time as I always do and as is my ritual began packing up camp.  I did make some hot herbal tea which hit the spot and did some exercises.  After a quick cold shower and a few birthday phone calls I was off to Vicksburg, Mississippi.  Along the way I stopped at multiple places until I finally found one that sold postcards.  Everyone keeps telling me that I need to collect mementos from each state but I cannot honestly think of what I need 50 of.  My older brother collects shot glasses and though I like shot glasses do I really need 50 of them?  I also don’t need 50 koozies, or 50 key-chains, or 50 picture frames.  In the end, after talking with my mom, I settled on 50 postcards more so just to tell everyone that yes I am collecting something from every state.  Though in my mind what I am collecting are memories that will last a lifetime and an adventure I will never forget. 

I arrived at the Vicksburg National Military Park at noon and was told the driving park should take around 1.5 to 2 hours.  Well I don’t know who the hell they were trying to fool with that I was there for 2 hours and was still not even halfway done with the driving tour!  It wasn’t like I was taking my sweet time and listening to everything on the cell phone tour or reading all the 1400 monuments that were there. The park itself was rich in history and I was shocked at how “hilly” the terrain was. Near the beginning of the drive there was a dome shaped building made out of marble called the Illinois Memorial.  Walking up the 47 steps that represent each day of the siege of Vicksburg I thought a recording of a woman singing the star bangled banner was playing but in reality there was truly a woman singing inside the dome.  The building had great acoustics but her voice was absolutely divine.

At the next stop I pulled in to a black man (no I am not being racist but how else to describe someone for it they guy had pink skin I would say “to a pink man”) asking if I minded if he asked me a question.  I said of course not and he replied; “now where can I find me one of those?” He was gesturing to my camper and I explained to him that it was home built but you can also buy pre-built ones.  Needless to say that yet again I spoke with this man for about 20 minutes.  We talked about how he is spending five years writing a book about his family and the history of the area.  At one point he whipped out his harmonica and played me a blues tune!  I almost asked him to play me a full song it was so good.  In the end he gave me his card and told me to send him an email and when he is finished with the book I will get a signed copy.   He also told me that I am going to be in his acknowledgement section of the book for saving him money by giving him the idea to build a teardrop camper himself and safe on hotel costs.  You know I’m just like Mother Teresa helping people everywhere I go HAHAHA; just kidding folks.

All in all the drive was decent due to the rich history but in the end it was mostly just looking at monuments.  I cut it short and drove to Natchez Trace Parkway which is a beautiful road with many historical stops along the way.  The only one I stopped at was Cypress Swamp which was a short jaunt through the woods. I then headed to Jeff Busby campground for some free camping.  It was a beautiful area and after parking and setting up I called my parents and Skyped them for some time.  I then ate some pasta and crashed.




No comments:

Post a Comment