Monday, June 26, 2017

Day 14

June 22, 2017                                                                                                                      Day 14

I woke up to rain on the mountain.  I find it curious that how it rains is different everywhere you go.  In the dry climates rain hits the Earth and dust billows up and it is soaked into the soil immediately.  In humid climates the rain seems to become part of the air you breathe and in the mountains the rain surrounds you and everything nearby and it is like you have become part of it.  It was in this rain that I made a protein shake and took off for the interstate to give my vehicle and my nerves a break from driving within the mountains. 

My drive lasted approximately six hours and my destination was the Great Salt Plains State Park in Oklahoma.  The state of Oklahoma is quite unique and I would come to find out later astoundingly beautiful.  It is flat but yet not flat, hilly but yet not that either, I guess the best description I can give it at this time would be barren.  It was mostly covered in farmland and cows.  The few towns I drove through were not necessarily towns but mainly one street with buildings on either side most of which looked to be vacant of life.  Everyone I ran into wore large white cowboy hats, jeans, and button up shirts. On the highway, the roads, although two lanes were oddly wide and for the majority of the time I was the only vehicle in site.  Maybe it was the 98 degree weather that kept everyone inside?


I made it to the state park around 15:00 to find it just as desolate as everything else in this state.  After finding the hidden visitor center the gentleman there informed me that most people go the salt flats.  Which get this is not even within the park but back where I came from 15 minutes away!  I was not about to just leave and not do something after I drove all the way out here.  So I drove the 15 minutes back the way I came to go see the salt flats and dig for crystals.  The salt flats were just like people described; looking at snow in a desert.  It had a different kind of beauty about it one that I think is rarely seen or observed as being beautiful.  In a way it was like I was transported to another planet and although the temperature now reached 100 degrees with the wind that came off the flat, barren landscape it was refreshing and felt cooler than it actually was.  I parked my vehicle and with my UdigIt shovel I went a digging!  It was interesting to cut into the white crystal soil only to have the deep red be revealed.  Finally, I found a little tidbit of crystal which was good enough for me! Back at my camper I went to grab my keys and they were scorching hot! I had to actually use my shirt to touch the keys.



No comments:

Post a Comment