Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Day 5

June 13, 2017                                                                                                              Day 5

I awoke again around 06:00 to the sound of rain on the canopy.  I laid there, oddly exhausted, trying to fall back asleep.  However, the worry that my camper was leaking and my blanket was getting wet prevented that from happening.  I eventually gave up the fight and stepped outside. The rain had finally let up some so I figured I would make myself some hot tea.  During the process of prepping everything I heard a lot of beeping that sounded like those weather station warnings that pop up on ones TV.  I checked my phone and sure enough it was the weather station issuing a flash flood warning for my area.  Not less than three minutes after that the wind picked up an ungodly pace and the rain started pounding down hard.  In a mad scramble, I threw everything in my galley and locked the hatch in place.  Next, I tried to grab hold of my canopy and netting before that was gone.  The wind was taking my netting and making it difficult for me to take it all down so I ripped the velcro apart and threw the netting in my vehicle.  Then I took my extra stakes and tightened my canopy down to the ground as best I could.  The last thing to do in this storm that came from nowhere was to take down the porta-privy.  I kept trying to fold it up but it just wouldn't fold so in a crazy torrent I threw it under my vehicle hoping it would be safe there.  Soaking wet I jumped in my vehicle to wait it out.

With the subsiding of the rain I climbed out from the shelter of my vehicle and began resetting up camp.  At this point, I just about had it for the day so I climbed into my camper and watched a movie. By 13:00 the rain had come to a complete halt and I was able to throw everything over the fences, benches, and picnic table to dry.  I made some pasta and sat myself down by the water and watched the sky open up into a beautiful day.

I should probably mention that my temper may have gotten the better of me and as I attempted to refold the porta-privy after it dried out I may have threw it and broke it.  It just wouldn't fold! So see ya you stupid invention!

No comments:

Post a Comment