Friday, June 30, 2017

Day 19

June 27, 2017                                                                                                             Day 19

Last night I had come up with some sort of a plan and so this morning I woke up at 05:30.  The plan was to drive to Balton Springs Park while it was free to get in and go swimming and shower.  Upon arriving; however, it was already busy and there was no where to park my camper.  So I drove to another Walmart to call the McKinney Falls State Park near Austin, TX.   After calling them a million times someone finally answered the phone and informed me they do have some sites available for $26.00/night.  With that information I drove to McKinney Falls State Park and waited an additional 30 minutes to get my site.

I proceeded to unhook my camper and informed my family of where I was located.  At this point, I was quite hunger so I reheated my rice and beans from a few nights ago and looked for a post office in San Antonio that I could have mail delivered to.  During this process I received a phone call from my best friend, Stacie, and we talked for about an hour.  It was nice hearing her voice and being able to talk to someone who wasn't a family member but knew me just as well.

After our conversation ended I proceeded to attempt to make myself look something like a woman.  For the longest time I contemplated whether to get an Uber or pay for a parking spot downtown and in the end I decided to just drive by the two places I was planning on going to tonight to see what the area it was like.  It turned out that Saxon Pub had a parking lot so I continued to Half Step which I found out had a parking area for $7.00 for four hours.  So I paid my parking and walked a block or so to Half Step.

I had heard of Half Step via a show on TV where two men travel to different cities to find the best bars.  Walking into the cocktail lounge there was only one group who were sitting down.  Granted it was 16:00 and they had literally just opened up for the evening.  I went to the bar and had the bartender make a cocktail with tequila. That one drink was a knockout!  It tasted so delicious and was very strong, especially, for someone who barely drinks anymore.  I paid for me drink and took a seat in a booth to use the internet once again to find things to do.  When my drink was finished I still had  over an hour and a half to kill so I decided one more drink wouldn't hurt.  At this point, I was the only person in the place besides the bartender.  This time he concocted a bourbon drink which was just as heavenly as the first.  The rest of the time I was there was spent talking to the bartender on a variety of topics.  Come to find out he is from the West Coast and made me a list of things that are a must see and do in the area.

When it came time for me to head over to Saxon Pub to listen to Joe Taylor we swapped numbers and planned to meet up Saturday on his day off.  I want to mention that the entire time I was there he made sure my water glass was always full and I had everything I needed.  Out of the three drinks I had I only had to pay for two of them.  He was a wonderful bartender and person and I highly recommend that if anyone is in Austin they hit up Half Step!

Arriving at Saxon Pub, I ordered two meatballs with mozzarella from a food truck out front since I had yet to eat anything since my rice and beans earlier this morning.  Inside, I paid the coverage charge and situated myself at the bar with my meatballs and a beer.  The two women who were singing on stage were amazing and although Joe Taylor was supposed to play at 20:00 they were moved to 22:00.  Joe Taylor was absolutely amazing to listen to and was  perfect ending to a great night out on the town!  Like Cinderella, by midnight, I was back at my campsite and snuggled up in my camper.



No comments:

Post a Comment