Monday, June 26, 2017

Day 12

June 20, 2017                                                                                                                         Day 12

After a relaxing day yesterday the night itself was anything but.  Raccoons took on a dumpster near me which scared the crap out of me and woke me up.  When I tried to go back to sleep I had god awful nightmares.  I actually woke up scared thinking they were real and wishing I wasn’t alone and that Drayton was next me.  Needless to say I was up by 07:00 and very tired.

I packed up camp and made myself some coffee before I got on the road to Hot Springs, Arkansas. The six hour drive was not too bad but now I know why I was avoiding interstates earlier.  Though they are a faster route they are boring and I think more stressful.  One does not have the serene countryside to look at but instead a bustling of vehicles trying to race each other to some unknown destination.

Holy mountains! I was not prepared to come across mountains in Arkansas. For some reason I never thought there were mountains in this state which now that I think about is a ridiculous thought.  Also, every time I want to say Arkansas I think Arizona instead and have to stop myself and say, “No, you idiot you are in Arkansas NOT Arizona.”  My poor vehicle did not approve pulling my camper up those hills nor did it appreciate the small roads that ran thru Hot Springs. Therefore, I headed to my camping destination of Cedar Glades County Park.  Upon arriving I realized how huge the park was.  It had a rock wall, Frisbee golf area, over 10 miles of mountain biking trails, and a flying field for those people who are rich and buy those miniature toy airplanes.  Finding where I was supposed to camp was not happening and while I sat in my vehicle contemplating where the campsites may be a white truck pulled up alongside me.  Inside it was AJ, the man I spoke to on the phone that maintains the park, he was tall, lean, and tan exactly what one would picture when you mention mountain biking and Arizona/Arkansas.  He led me to where I can camp and we spoke for quite some time.  He was very informative and nice.

After I set up camp I went for a four mile hike.  Finally I have some terrain to work with and try to get back into shape on.  On the trail I came across a three-toed box turtle which I probably took too many pictures of.   Back at camp I showered, ate a can of crushed pineapple and began writing and updating this blog.  The last couple hours I was not feeling so good which I think may be attributed to the sandwich I ate.  At that point I had run out of ice and the meat and cheese had gotten warm but I ate it anyway and I think that is what made me sick.  So I made some tomato bisque to try to ease the pain and it worked.  I also called my dad in Wisconsin and spoke to him for quite some time.  He always seems to put me in such a great mood and I love when just him and I get to talk.


For those of you who may be confused I do have two fathers.  My dad in Florida is my biological dad and my dad in Wisconsin is my step-father.  I love them both equally and they both have been in my life ever since I can remember and have been a huge impact on who I am today as a person; so that is why I refer to both of them as my dad. 



No comments:

Post a Comment