Friday, June 30, 2017

Day 16

June 24, 2017                                                                                                             Day 16

The Heavens opened up this morning around 01:00 and unleashed a god fearing storm.  At first one could hear the thunder off in the distance and see the lightening light up my camper.  The wind was roaring outside my window and it was relaxing.  Then it all changed.  All of a sudden I felt like I was right in the eye of the storm.  The thunder was rattling my camper, it was like daylight inside the lightening was so fierce and the rain sounded like hail pounding down on my camper trying to get inside.  For over an hour there was never a single minute of silence and I worried that maybe I was experiencing a tornado.  It was precisely how storms are portrayed in the old western movies. Due to the openness of the land I could continue to hear the storm as it moved away for an additional hour.

When I woke up, around 07:00, it was still raining outside so I took this time to open up my computer and start a word document to catch up on my blogs.  Then in a fluster, it dawned on me that it was Saturday and the Post Office is not open all day!  Due to having no service to use the internet I called my mom and had her look up the Post Offices' information in which I had her send me mail.  It was at this time 11:30 and the office closed at 12:00.  In a mad panic, I called the office while I jumped in my vehicle in my pj's and asked if my mail had arrived. True to form I lost service and when I was able to call them back I was told that my mail is indeed there.  I then asked ever so politely if there was literally any possible way I could still get my mail today although it will be after 12:00 when I would arrive.  The gentleman there was very polite and said he would stay later and that I could just meet him in the back to pick it up!

I would like to interject and say that the roads in Oklahoma have no rhyme or reason and it also seems like there are no rules.  Half of the roads do not have lines for the lanes but then all of a sudden they appear.  The roads also just seem to randomly split off into multiple directions.  Exits do not have numbers just a turn sign and counties are called nations.  At intersections, there is a delayed green light so everyone sits around for a minute or so apparently waiting for ghosts to pass by.

Anyways, back at camp I organized and cleaned up my vehicle and camper.  Then after a shower I was gone by 15:00 to literally go sit at a gas station to use the internet and figure out where I was to go.  Finding free camp sites has turned into quite a challenge and my cell service in Oklahoma is spotty at best.  So without a plan, I decided to just drive to Witchita Falls, TX and figure it out from there.  When I was close, with my moms assistance, I was able to find some camping within the USFS that would cost $4.00.  By 20:00 I was parked at the location which turned out to be free and crawled into bed for the night.

I would like to mention that all day my mom was on the computer trying to help me find a place to camp or stay at for the night.  She is literally such an amazing woman and who knows how I would have survived this long without her!

No comments:

Post a Comment