Monday, June 26, 2017

Day 6

June 14, 2017                                                                                                                     Day 6

Sleeping, what is that again?  For some reason unbeknownst to me I have not been able to get any sleep since my journey began.  True to form I woke up at 06:30 not true to form however, it was not raining.  Before the weather knew I was awake I ran around breaking down camp and changed clothes quickly.  I am not sure if I mentioned earlier but the road to camp was a brilliant red-orange color and although pretty I think it may be dyeing the white of my camper. 

My goal for today was to stop at Fort Pickens within the Gulf Shores National Seashore.  On my way there I stopped at a Lowes to buy silicone in which to seal up my camper to further prevent leakage; or at least try to.  In Lowes I called my older brother and began having a discussion with my niece Ella. So if you can picture it I was holed up in an insulation aisle, talking like people do to children in a higher pitched voice that one never has unless speaking to a child.  Why is it that when we speak to children or even animals our voice seems to go up a couple octaves?  Anyways after about a ten minute conversation I bought what I needed and headed to Publix to buy food and ice.   Afterwards I thought it would be a good idea to stop and replace the porta-privy I “damaged” the other day.  Back in the car about to leave to finally go to Fort Pickens what does it do?? It rains.  I was almost tempted to just say screw it and get out of the south but I talked myself out of it.

Fort Pickens speed limit was a speedy 25 mph in order to protect the shorebirds that nested in the area.  The place was absolutely stunning in its natural beauty.  The dunes were covered in brilliant white sand and ospreys flew abundantly overhead. The drive to the fort was a long one; however, I honestly did not want it to end I was enjoying the view too much.  Fort Pickens was interesting due to the history behind it but I think I was so eager to get to the beach and bird watch that I just couldn’t pace myself. Before I knew it was back in my camper trying to find a place to park that I could access the beach.  Finally, I just said screw it and took up two parking spaces.  It wasn’t crowded and with the storm off in the distance I did not expect it to become so while I was out.

After changing in my camper and making a quick sandwich I walked to the beach.  Please note that in later posts I tend to always be walking with a sandwich in hand. Haha.  By 14:00 I had already spend two glorious hours at the beach and needed to get going before it got dark. Plus at this point it had been two days since I showered and let’s just say I was beginning to smell.  So I think an air conditioned vehicle is the best thing for me at this point.


I drove right thru Mobile, AL into Mississippi and I still could not find a free camping spot!  Frustrated I ended up pulling over in a Dollar General parking lot in some speck of a town to skype my older brother and nieces. I really do hate that I am missing seeing those two beautiful girls grow up.  Anyways, back to the matter at hand.  After failing and failing to find a place that I can park and stay the night I finally found a rest stop in Louisiana that allowed overnight parking.  Sleep would not come to me again tonight though.  My bed was soaking wet so I spent some time applying silicone and then attempted to sleep in my vehicle.  It was 89 degrees out and in the heat and crammed driver’s seat I would not be sleeping tonight.  Eventually, around 05:00 I decided to just start driving again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment