Monday, June 19, 2017

The beginning of it all


In the beginning with an idea freshly bouncing around in my head I went from hiking the entire Appalachian Trail to hiking other long distance trails.  Then it went from road tripping the United States while sleeping in a tent, hammock or my vehicle.  Finally, I started looking at buying a little camper and in my search a teardrop camper came into view.  I always had thought they were cute campers and like most people I had an obsession with fitting the most into small places.  The idea of it actually being something I would live and travel in didn't become a reality until my boyfriend said we could build one.  To say the least I was quite skeptical, especially with the time constraint of less than a month, that it could be done.  It was not a question of our skills but a question of time and money.

With only a month before he left for work our little (maybe I should say big??) project began.  I could tell you all about the day in and day out difficulties that arose, the hassle of finding parts and supplies, and the joy in seeing it all come together but I think anyone who has ever taken on a project knows how it affects you.  In a month, the camper was constructed, stained, painted, weather proofed, tires placed on the trailer, and a towing kit placed on my vehicle.  Then I was off...to Florida...for more work on the camper.  I stayed in Florida an additional month having my vehicle completely looked at for a year on the road and waiting for parts to come in.  To say I was losing patience would probably be an understatement.  I understood that it all had to be done but still I could not control my anxiety that if I didn't get on the road soon I wouldn't get on it at all.  In the end it was all worth it and I was on the road.

Before my adventure begins I can not thank everyone enough who has helped this dream of mine become a reality.  My family first off has been the most supportive of all.  It took some convincing in the beginning but once they knew I was serious they were all in.  Advice and support flooded in from Wisconsin and Florida alike. Without them I know I would not have had the courage to make this journey.  My boyfriend put all his time into assisting me with building the camper from the ground up and when he left the rest of his family stepped in; especially, his brother Carson.  My friends (who have become family to me) at Langdons' Restaurant and Wine Bar threw me a going away party and were a huge support system for me. In Florida, Frank took my vehicle and basically gave me back a new one and Nick welded me a brand new trailer tongue and made sure it was safe to go.  There are literally too many people to thank for making this happen.  I was flabbergasted by the amount of information, input, advice, and support I received from everyone.  It made me realize just how many people I have out there who truly care.

So without any more delays......The Journey of a lifetime begins!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment