Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Day 4

June 12, 2017                                                                                                                   Day 4

Last night it took forever to get comfortable and fall asleep; however, I was up at 06:00.  I laid in bed for another 45 minutes listening to the rain and waiting for it to subside some so that I could begin the process of taking down camp.  During the entire time I was packing up camp I was praying that I would be able to get out of here and not get stuck on the road with all the this rain.  I didn't want to even begin to think how deep the lakes I had driven thru last night were now.

Well I made it to the highway without incidence and began driving to St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge.  Upon arriving I drove all the way to the end where the lighthouse was situated.  I started to walk on one of the paths when all of a sudden I was being chased down by mosquitoes!  I felt like I was that alien that is in the movie Lilo and Stitch who thinks mosquitoes are an endangered species until he is completely covered in them.  So at a brisk pace I made it back to my car and doused myself with 100% deet (yes, I know that its' bad for you but I will deal with the consequences), put my rain coat on, and also my bug head net.  Take that you pesky bloodsuckers!

While driving down the road I realized I was so hungry that I was eating cold baked beans out of a mason jar with a spork while bird-watching. I think I just entered a whole new stage of desperate. HAHA  Anyways, I decided to hike one of the primitive trails within the refuge, a total of 6.8 miles.  I did not realize until today how out of "hiking" shape I am.  Granted it was raining the entire time, my boots were oozing water and my pants were soaked.  Though I was drenched and I think I left my ass and thighs somewhere back on the trail it was overall a decent hike.  Throughout the hike I saw the following wildlife:

                        tri-colored herons                                2 downy woodpeckers
                        green herons                                         heard the "screech" then say a barred owl
                        common moorhens                              alligators
                        american oystercatchers                      28 turtle nests
                        purple gallinules
                        various shorebirds

Leaving St. Marks I camped at Bayside campground in the Elgin AFB.  After setting up camp I took a dip in the bay to rinse off, cooked some ramon noodles and settled in for the night.



                     
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment