Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Day 24

July 2, 2017                                                                                                              Day 24

This morning was rough.  I drank less than the other night when I was in Austin; yet, that was liquor and last night I had three beers. I think it didn't help that I have only drank now three times since leaving Florida and I am not eating like I used to either.  It was a gloomy morning and although I felt like crap and was exhausted I was on the road by 07:00.

The drive was only an hour and forty minutes but it seemed to drag on and on.  When I arrived at the Alamo River RV Resort and Campground it was nothing like I had imagined.  It wasn't bad but you know when you envision something to be one way only to find out it to be completely different, it was like that feeling one gets.  Its not disappointment but something else I can not put my finger on right now. The place to check in was literally a mobile home that was turned into a shop, office, and club house all in one.  Once I paid my dues, I was informed they were very strict about the 10 mph speed limit.  Apparently, two fawns have already been killed on one of the turns.  Taking the turn in question the only way someone could not see a deer and hit one is if they were on the phone and not paying attention at all to where they were driving.

The campsites were not really numbered clearly so I just parked where ever I felt like it. I chose underneath a small tree for shade from the glaring sun.  It was at this point that I attempted to take a nap until 13:00; however, it was so beyond hot that I just laid there sweating profusely.  Eventually, I just gave up and ate a can of Mandarin oranges and called up my friend Josh.  By 17:00, I had sweated at least 10 pounds of fat off my body and just couldn't take it any longer so I drove up to the showers.  The showers were great in that they were individual rooms that contained a toilet, sink, and shower.  Getting ready was so relaxing due to the complete privacy I had.  Which when one thinks about it is odd since I am always alone.

Once I was all beautified I headed into town to Sams Burger Joint where Joe Taylor was playing.  Inside I ordered a frozen mango margarita and met up with Mike and talked with him for awhile.  About 10 to 15 minutes after that Stacey came by and we all sat down and talked.  Soon it was time for everyone to get ready so I found a seat and ordered a burger with sweet potatoes fries.  The Peterson Brothers and Joe Taylor played that evening and the venue was incredible.  All  I can say is that I am truly blessed to be here listening to such talented people and enjoying the company of friends on a journey of a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment