Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Day 45

July 23, 2017                                                                                                               Day 45

So last night I had planned on possibly getting up and being in Canyonlands National Park to see the sunrise at one of the arches. Though I did wake up at 05:00 I decided that instead of rushing to get to the park to see the sunrise and possibly missing it that I would just stay at my camper and enjoy it from there.  While I sat in my camper waiting for the sun two girls who had camped at a site across the way were very loud and acting like annoying high school girls and at one point a guy from another site yelled at them to please be quiet which I was truly thankful for.

Once the sun had risen I left my camper behind once more to drive to Canyonlands National Park.  The drive was relaxing and although it is difficult to wake up in the morning once one does it is so rewarding.  As I entered the park the views were amazing and it was a change of scenery from that of Arches National Park that was only a few miles down the road.  In Arches one is traveling down among-est the rocks and landscape where in Canyonlands one is looking down upon the great canyons so it was nice contrast to Arches.  During the drive I did stop along every scenic overlook to take in the view.  I should mention that the park is divided into three different sections due to the two rivers that run thru the park and the section that I was in was known as the "Island in the Sky."

At one of the lookouts I got out and did a short two mile hike and it led to a lookout that jutted out from the canyon so it felt as thought I was literally on an island in the sky.  When the day began I already had decided I was going to give my body a reprieve and not do any of the hikes in the area.  Since I wasn't hiking it didn't take me long to visit all the stops along the way and I was finished with that part of the park by 12:00.  Leaving the park, I did contemplate going into the city of Moab but that was about an hour in the opposite direction and I really didn't have anything there that I wanted to see so I didn't think it was worth the gas and miles.

I was back at my camper around 13:00 and really had nothing else to do for the day so I retreated in my camper to get out of the glare of the afternoon sun.  With no trees for shade and not even a breeze to silence the heat it wasn't long before I was melting inside.  The sides of my camper felt as though they would spark on fire at any given second and the sweat was just rolling off of me.  I took a quick walk to the porta-potty and thought I was going to pass out from just that little activity!

While I sat there in nothing but a sports-bra, shorts and my t-shirt over my head my phone went off.  The caller ID showed it was my older brother; however, upon answering I was rewarded with the sound of my niece Ella.  She wanted to skype and although both my brother and I were unsure of how it would work with our internet signals we tried anyway, but to no avail.  Instead we talked for awhile and I hate how much I miss all of them and how I am not able to be there for them and to see them growing up and boy do they grow up fast!  It wasn't long after we hung up that my mother called, for my brother had called her, and wanted to see if she could possible skype with me.  So we tried skyping once more but again to no avail.  We talked for a little bit after that discussing what was going on back home, how the family reunion went and what I was doing.  When we hung up I laid there trying to go asleep to pass the time until it grew cooler out but sleep would not come.

The quickest way to Wyoming from where I am at is to go back through Grand Junction, CO and then up.  Since I was going back thru Nate offered me to stay at their place where I could get out of the 100 degree heat and seek shelter in the AC.  It took me only about three minutes to have my camper packed up and hook it back up to my vehicle to head back to a cool environment.  When I arrived back at their place we headed out to the liquor store to pick up some beers and I don't think anything could have tasted better after a day in the heat!  The rest of the evening we watched movies, hung out with his roommates and participated in some relaxing Colorado activities.






He has some attitude!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment