Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Day 46

July 24, 2017                                                                                                              Day 46

Off to Wyoming I go!!!  The excitement I had in getting to Wyoming was short lived for the drive was boring and due to no cell service that meant no music and the only radio channel that would come in was church music and no offense but I will not be listening to that.  If you don't know already, driving for me is not a good thing if I get bored for I have a bad tendency to fall asleep.  I used to be great at driving no matter the distance but I think as soon as I moved into a newer vehicle that was not as bumpy and loud as my truck it all changed.  So in order to make myself stay focused I ate and I ate the shit out of my dried fruit and nut mix!

As soon as I crossed the border into Wyoming I came across a group of "cowboys" on their horses rounding up cattle and I so wanted to pull my vehicle over to the side of the road and ask if I could join them! But alas I kept on driving.  Wyoming near the Utah/Colorado border looks pretty close to the landscape in Oklahoma, southern Texas, and northern Utah if that makes any sense at all.  It is just an open landscape that stretches on for miles with rolling hills of no green. I did see my first ever Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaeots) on the side of the road on top of a deer carcass!  I wanted to pull over to snap some photos and admire it but apparently the people of Wyoming love to drive right on top of each other.

After about four hours of driving I entered Rock Springs, WY and went straight to the UPS store to ship out a gift for a family members birthday.  At the store, I got to talking with the guy that was assisting me so I ended up being there for about ten to fifteen minutes.  From there I drove to the Starbucks across the street and was going to go in and update my blog but after speaking with Travis I decided I would rather be closer to Jackson, WY where I was planning on camping.  So off I went again and arrived in Jackson around 18:30.  Unfortunately, when I arrived I realized that there wasn't a lot of free camping spots.  It was either National Park campsites or free natural forests sites that I could not find a road to get in to anywhere.

With no real plan at all (tends to be my life story!) I drove on wards to Grand Tetons National Park.  Entering the park, I had just missed the visitor center open hours so after showing the "gate keeper" my Access Pass and ID I began a trek up the park on the scenic route.  It was indeed scenic! With the sun setting behind the mountains the view was breathtaking for I was driving right next to those massive mountains.  I should mention that as I gave my pass and ID to the "gate keeper" I noticed a sign that said all but two of the park campgrounds were full.  To give one an idea of how many people had to be within the park; just one of those campgrounds accommodates 81 RVs and additional sites for tents!

By the time I was in the park and driving up the scenic road it was getting darker and darker out and I was exhausted from driving all day long. Sooooo...I saw a sign for a picnic area and although in the park newspaper they give you (which of course I read because I'm a nerd like that) it states that camping in picnic areas and other such areas is prohibited.  Well if one wants to get technical I'm really only "parking."  I decided to chance a meeting with a ranger, already coming up with my excuse in the best innocent girl act I can do, and spend the night at the picnic area.  





No comments:

Post a Comment