Saturday, July 8, 2017

Day 27

July 5, 2017                                                                                                           Day 27

This morning I laid in bed for awhile until I finally decided to get up and hook  the camper to my vehicle and pack everything up.  Within a few minutes, I was leaving the Alamo River RV Resort and campground and headed to Big Bend National Park.

Since Big Bend National Park is about an 7 hour drive I decided just to speed things up a bit and take the interstate instead of the back roads like I have been trying to do.  The only downfall of driving on Interstate 10 W was there was absolutely no cell phone service and for the first time in my life I also encountered no radio channels.   Needless to say I was quite bored and me being bored while driving is not a good thing. To keep myself awake I kept stopping at rest areas and picnic areas to walk around and get my blood going.  At one point, I was shocked to hear my phone go off, apparently I just drove thru a spot with a little reception.  Here it was my best friend Stacie calling me so we talked for quite some time about the things going on each others lives.

With only an hour or so to go I passed a town but happened to miss the exit for gas but I figured I would be okay since I had just under a half tank of gas left and I should encounter a gas station before I run out.  I was wrong about that.  Here I was with no cell service, no radio channels and one could see for miles of which there was no gas station in sight.  My gas light popped on and I kept going trying not to think about running out of gas.  Finally, I just gave in and pulled over to the side of the road and thankfully took the full 5 gallon gas can I have on my camper and put the gas in my vehicle. Getting back in, I now had almost a half tank of gas and continued on my way.

Soon afterwards I arrived in Alpine, Texas where I pulled into a Valerio gas station and filled up and bought some ice.  Back at my camper, a woman a few pumps down in a lifted red truck said she liked my camper and asked if I built it.  We got to talking and here she is building her own cabin!  During our talk, I mentioned I was heading to Big Bend National Park and that I was looking for somewhere to stay for free.  She was extremely kind and offered me to stay on her land while I was in town; however, upon seeing my vehicle it was too low to the ground and wouldn't make it over the terrain on her property.   Unlike most people, who would have at this point just said see ya and left she was not ready to give up just yet.  So she made a phone call to one of her friends that has a business on the highway near the park to see if I would be able to spend the night in the parking area.  Thankfully, he was willing to let me stay and would wait for me to arrive!

Not only did she not give up in finding me a place to stay but she also made sure that I found the place and made it there.  I have to say I have not met many, hell if any, people who would go so far out of their way to help a complete stranger.  I literally could not thank her enough for all that she did for me.  To top it all off, we exchanged numbers and have been talking since then about how her cabin is going and how my visit is coming along.  She even sent me a few names of some hikes I should check out at the next place I am visiting!  I really hope that we stay in touch for I can see her and I becoming good friends.

The drive out to the place she mentioned was breathtaking to say the least.  When I arrived, she introduced me to Brian who was the  man she spoke to on the phone that said I could crash in the parking area for night.  Soon after she left, Brian and I began talking and he asked if I had any plans tonight and if not if I would like him to show me around.  Since I had nothing going on and was curious as to what was in the area I said yes.  After changing into more appropriate clothes we got on the bike and headed into the closest town, Terlingua. The ride there was so perfect.  The wind felt refreshing and being able to not drive for once I could truly take in the scenery and man was it something.  I have to admit I have never seen anything quite so unique and beautiful.  The mountains just rose up all around me and although there were really no trees or cover of any kind there were many cacti and small shrubs.

Pulling into Terlingua, which is called a Ghost Town,  I got off the bike and as a landed on the ground dust billowed up around me.  Although it was probably in the high 90's the wind was consistently blowing and due to the dry heat I was never hot let alone warm.  We went into the shop there and bought a six pack of beer which we drank while looking around the cute shop.  After looking at everything we strolled out to the porch and sat there drinking and talking about many things.  During this time, there were two guys down at the end of the porch who were playing and singing.  We also walked around some while he showed me the area and I have to tell you this place is like going back in time.  Many of the homes here are built out of stucco or rock and almost all of the them have a system for catching rain water. It is quite the unique place and I have never come across anything like this.  It is almost like I wasn't in Texas anymore but on a completely different planet.

Heading back out on the bike we went to La Kiva for some food.  There we ordered a BBQ pork pizza that was to die for!  The entire time, I was so relaxed and completely content and talking to Brian came easily.  Once the pizza was gone the sun was setting so we climbed back on the bike to make it back before dark.  Riding down the road with the wind blowing against my face I turned to look towards the mountains and my breath left me.  The view that my eyes fell on was like something off of a painting.  The sun was setting out over the mountains turning the sky a brilliant orange and creating a stellar silhouette of the mountains.  It was at that moment that I knew this was the most amazing place I have yet to see and would die to be able to see that every single day.

Coming here I had planned to just drive to Big Bend and do a quick hike and then leave.  This was definitely not what I had expected to happen today but I guess that is why I am on this trip.  For the unexpected to happen.  I am so thankful to have ran into Joan who introduced to me to Brian and because of him I am getting to experience something not many people get to unless they live here themselves.






No comments:

Post a Comment