Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Day 43

July 21, 2017                                                                                                                  Day 43

This morning started off great for the guy I met the other day after hiking Mount Garfield, whose name is Nate, him and I went to the store to get food to make breakfast burritos which were amazing.  After breakfast, I planned on leaving and heading out to hike the Colorado National Monument before heading over into Utah.   So I would have some company on the hike and since it was only about 30 minutes away from Grand Junction Nate joined me.

After dropping my camper off at a Walmart parking lot we headed to the Colorado National Monument to hike the trail to the monument. This hike was a breeze after yesterdays death climb up Mount Garfield.  In total we hiked about seven miles and the majority of the hike was under an overcast sky with a breeze every once in awhile.  It was on this hike that I saw my first ever wild Big Horn Sheep (Ovis canadensis) and it wasn't just one but a whole group with two big rams.  At one section of the hike I was leading and as we rounded a corner I looked up and jumped for right in front of me was an adult female bighorn!  After regaining my composure I concluded the experience with shooting a video of her grazing in close proximity to us.

In the end, we finished the hike around 17:00 right before it started raining.  At this point, my body was completely exhausted for within the past 24 hours I had hiked about eleven miles.  Once he dropped me off back my camper I bought a bag of ice and headed towards Arches National Park in Utah.  It was only about an hour and forty minute drive; however, it rained the entire time and the wind was wicked strong, add to all that how tired I was and it was not a good combination.  I originally wanted to camp in the natural forest but due to the weather and it it being a longer drive I opted for BLM land near the entrance to the park.  When I arrived, I called my mom to let her know where I was at and then I literally passed out as soon as I hit the bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment