Monday, October 2, 2017

Day 114

September 30, 2017                                                                                                   Day 114

I had set my alarm but I didn't need it for I was already awake by 06:30.  I opened my camper door and was walking to my vehicle to get my shower stuff when the husband pulled out of the garage on the way to work and said good morning in his jovial voice.  He mentioned that there was coffee inside and stated that he would be back home soon.  After he left, his wife came out and I followed her back inside the house to use the shower.  Having a hot shower is such an unbelievable joy in my life now and I relish every one I get. Downstairs I was offered tea or coffee so I chose tea since that was what she was having and I thought would be easiest to get.  As I was heading out the door to get on with my day the husband was just getting home so we exchanged quick hi's and goodbye's.

Pulling out of the drive, I headed to a Wells Fargo ATM to acquire cash for the day and then went to a cashier at the grocery store the ATM was in to get smaller bills.  I tried talking to my mom but alas my phone kept losing signal so I then drove around the parking lot trying to obtain some signal in which I could get directions to the BART station in Dublin.  Once I arrived at the station, the parking garage in which I parked was practically empty and in the station area I learned that due to it being the weekend parking was free.  I walked up to a booth where a worker was assisting a lady whom he seemed to be getting quite irritated with for she was really confused and not understanding.  So I was somewhat worried he would be rude towards me for my questions; however, he was very cordial and explained to me exactly what I needed to do to get my round trip ticket.  So I walked over to one of the machines and inserted $13.00 to get a round trip ticket from the station. I then walked up the stairs to the platform and waited for the train; not really sure if it was the train I was supposed to be on but figuring I would find out one way or the other.

As I sat down on the train a young woman sat down next to me and we proceeded to talk the entire trip.  Here her and her husband are building a tiny house! It is the cutest thing and so you can imagine we discussed that and my camper along with some other things.  Before parting ways we swapped blogs and wished each other luck.  After I asked another train attendant what was the best way to get to Fisherman's Wharf I decided to walk the twenty or so minutes along the piers to get there.

The walk was enjoyable and people watching was at its finest for at one point I saw a grown, slightly overweight man in a peter pan outfit with a backpack walking next to a woman!  At this point in time it was about 11:30 and I was quite hungry.  I was saddened to find out that Mac Daddy (a macaroni and cheese place), a restaurant I really wanted to eat at, was in the opposite direction of where I was walking so I decided to get a bread bowl of clam chowder instead.  With my soup and cup of lemonade in hand I sat down facing the water while a man played guitar on the street behind me.  I will admit that living in Charleston, SC has spoiled me and though the chowder was enjoyable it was by no means the best I have had nor did it compete with the best.

After lunch, I walked a few feet to an open museum and was going to explore the WWII ships but after I found out that it cost $40.00 I opted to go elsewhere.  So I pressed on towards the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park where I sat on a bench for a few minutes and then strolled to the visitor center where I spoke with an older gentleman about the museums in the area until he had to go to his next job.  I walked around in the museum and then walked down Hyde Pier to look at the old ships and to walk thru them.

From there, I wanted to see the painted ladies but after walking up just one hill I was done so thankfully I had asked the guy at the visitor center for directions to them.  I stood at a bus stop and when the number 47 bus I needed pulled up I paid $3.00 (it was only $2.25 but I didn't have quarters on me) and grabbed my ticket and sat down.  I eagerly perched on the edge of my seat trying very hard to see the upcoming street signs so that I would not miss my stop.  It was then that I remembered the couple had lent me a map of the area that had the street names so I pulled that out and was able to follow the stops via that.  When I got off I then walked to another bus stop and took a different bus to the painted ladies. Although they were pretty I did not think they were as brightly painted as I would have thought for the ones in Charleston are more colorful.  Maybe there is something more meaningful behind them that I do not know so I will have to look into that.  However, it was interesting to see all the people completely covering the lush green hillside.  They were laid out everywhere!  As I neared the top of the hill the other side was covered with dogs and people so I took a seat on a bench and as I read my book I would occasionally people watch.

The sun was slowly starting to go down and I was becoming tired of taking shuttles everywhere so I opted to not go to Mac Daddy's but instead head back to the couples home.  Standing at the bus stop right below the Alamo park I was freezing cold and shivering although it was only 66 degrees out.  Come winter I worry that I will not be able to handle the cold like I used to for I have been in the desert or tropical areas far too long.  Anyways, I got on the bus that would talk me to the BART train station thanks to the maps on my phone having a transit option.  At the station, I waited for the train to arrive and then crammed in next to all the other passengers.  Slowly, at each stop, the amount of people on the train went down so I could sit the rest of the way.  At my stop, I got off and drove to a Walmart to acquire a pint of ice cream and a bag of spoons for I didn't have any spoons on me and I did not want to wait until I got to my camper.

When I pulled in, the husband greeted me and invited me inside to talk about my day which I thought was really sweet and I have to admit it was nice to have people to share my day with in person and who were actually interested in what I did.  We had a glass of wine and sat around talking and laughing until almost 21:00 at which point we called it a night.  Before I left to head to my camper though they wanted to take me out to breakfast tomorrow so we planned to leave around 08:00.


 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment