Thursday, October 12, 2017

Day 122

October 8, 2017                                                                                                          Day 122

I woke up to darkness and the cold at 06:00 and did not want to leave the warmth of my bed but I needed to get on the road for I had a long day of driving ahead of me.  I didn’t bother changing my clothes and kept what I slept in on and made some coffee for the road.  I then sat in my vehicle with the defroster on eating my cereal and sipping on my coffee.  I called mom to let her know I was heading out on the road and driving up highway 1 towards the Redwoods National and State Parks.
As I began driving, the sun was just beginning to rise in the sky and the fog clung to the hillsides casting a beautiful portrait with the suns’ rays flowing thru the fog.  Cows dotted the hillsides and the whole thing looked to be something out of a movie or on a postcard.  I kept wanting to stop and take a million pictures but alas I was low on fuel once again and so I took to just memorizing it all so that I could see it in my memory later on.

Eventually, I found a gas station and filled up and throughout the day I would end up having to fill up twice more!  The drive was long (literally took me all day) but was so beautiful for I wound in and out of small coastal towns whose populations were in the hundreds.  My mind wanted to stray back to my ex for being near the water and anything involving boats reminds me of him and makes me miss it all but I know it is for the best.  Every time my mind wants to take me back to those memories I just push it all away and think of the future.  The road went along the coast and into the woods twisting its way up and down mountains.  After a while I was actually getting quite tired of it all and prayed to reach the interstate soon.  About 85% of the drive I didn’t have cell phone service so I didn’t use a map at all to guide me and the radio channels barely came in if at all.

 Honestly, there is not too much to report for today for all I did was drive and when I reached the first visitor center I found out that all the tide pools that had the best viewing were south of me and that none of the tides in the next couple of days were negative ones.  I was not too upset by this for I knew it was a risk I had taken and that the tides always tend to not be what one wants.  Instead, I continued driving North to a spot the guy at the visitor center said had free camping for the night.  When I arrived though there were at least three signs saying no overnight camping; however, I was already here and was not about to go and try and find somewhere else to stay in the waning light of day.  So I backed in to a picnic table and fire pit and made some rice and black beans for dinner.  I stood on top of my vehicle to gain cell service to call my parents and inform them of where I was at.  As I ate dinner I messaged a friend of mine until I lost service for good.  I then climbed into my camper for the evening and prayed that I would not be awoken in the middle of the night to a pounding on my door.







No comments:

Post a Comment