Thursday, October 12, 2017

Day 121

October 7, 2017                                                                                                                Day 121

This morning I woke up to my phone going off but I chose not to answer it for I was just too tired and cozy in my bed to move.  I was not able to fall asleep last night until after midnight for my mind would not stop churning around things so I was in no hurry to get on with today.  When I finally got a move on I walked to the showers to actually take a shower this time and was kind of upset to find that the hot water barely got warm enough to diminish the goosebumps on my skin.  At my camper, I made a bagel and coffee and once again began my ritual of packing everything up and prepping for the road.  With my coffee and bagel in hand I took care of some business on my computer and then hopped in my vehicle.

I called my mom up to let her know I was leaving the RV park and to talk about my amazing day yesterday.  At around 09:30 I was pulling out of the Vineyard RV park and heading the 2.5 hours to Alamere Falls on the coast.  The drive was enjoyable and due to not taking the interstate I was on very winding roads and passed thru small coastal towns.  There were hundreds of bicyclists throughout the drive and at first I thought it was just a few enjoying the weather but soon I realized there were just too many for it to be a coincidence and I found out there was some event going on.  Around 11:00, I pulled onto a very narrow and poorly maintained road to which my camper protested every step of the way.  It especially did not like when the road turned into a gravel road with potholes. As I pressed on I worried that I would get to the end and not be able to turn my camper around but soon my worries disappeared when I was able to park and saw that there was ample space to turn around.

I put on my hiking shoes and strapped on my pack and headed off in the direction of all the people for there were no signs marking the trail.  Once I was on the trail for a little ways there was a plaque with a poor map of the trails but I took a picture of it anyways.  The hike was absolutely beautiful with amazing ocean views and then it meandered away from the ocean inland.  It was not a difficult hike at all and would slowly go up and down rolling hills.  The temperature was also perfect with a  slight breeze that prevented any sweat from lingering too long.  I spent the majority of the hike daydreaming which I find I am doing more and more these days.  When I hit a fork in the trail I looked at my map and to me it just did not match up and I believed I had missed the turn I was supposed to take for everyone says that most people miss it.  I would think if this is a common thing that someone would make a sign then but oh well.  I turned around and started retracing my steps when I came across another woman and asked her if she was heading to the falls.  I mentioned to her that I think we missed our turn and after some deliberation we both agreed and continued back the way we came together.  We would then spend the rest of the hike together talking the entire time.  I do wonder whether these people I come across and hike with actually want to hike with me or are just too nice to say otherwise.

The final stretch to the beach, where the falls ran into the ocean, was a steep descent where one had to use both hands and carefully climb down.  When I set foot on the beach the tide was almost to the rocks and though it was a beautiful sight to behold and one I have never seen I was a little disappointed I will have to admit.  I think everyone had talked it up so much that I was expecting this grand waterfall cascading onto the beach and into the ocean.  No matter what, I think it was worth the hike and after snapping a few pictures, dropping my cliff bar in the sand but still eating it (a tad more crunchy now) we proceeded back up the cliff face.

Before we parted ways I gave her my Instagram information so that we could keep in touch.  Once she left I ate a hard-boiled egg and changed out of my hiking boots into my flip flops.  Before I left the San Francisco area I wanted to see the Golden Gate bridge at least once even if I couldn’t find a spot to park and walk on it.  So I drove an hour back south to the bridge and as I anticipated there was no parking for my camper and I; however, I did not anticipate it being so packed that the traffic was backed up all the way to the roundabout at the top of the scenic drive!  It didn’t bother me though for it allowed me to take pictures from my vehicle when I was stuck in traffic and for me that was enough.


Leaving the area I called my mom up and also messaged a friend of mine while I drove on the interstate until I could take an exit that would lead me back to highway 1.  The drive was quiet, winding and steep the entire way which I liked for it added something new and exciting to the drive.  I will admit that California has some of the steepest and craziest roads I have yet to encounter.  I continued driving until I acquired cell phone service and then I pulled over at a turnout on highway 1 to spend the night.  The reason I drove until I had service was so that I would be able to call my mom and not worry her.  I ate the last half of my delicious sandwich and went to bed.

 



 






No comments:

Post a Comment