Friday, November 3, 2017

Day 138

October 24, 2017                                                                                                  Day 138

I only obtained about three hours of sleep last night but come morning I wasn't tired and throughout the day I wouldn't feel tired either.  I got dressed within my sleeping bag with my workout clothes that I had stuffed in there with me last night so they would be warm.  It was still dark outside when I stepped out to begin my workouts: I am not a fan of the sun coming out later in the morning.  As I opened up the Beach Body On demand app I found out all my downloaded videos were gone!  Thankfully, I had enough service to stream a Core de Force MMA Shred workout that was poor video quality and froze a few times but worked none the less.  I was able to get my workout in and as I made breakfast (oatmeal, peanut butter, cinnamon and a banana) I changed into my hiking clothes.

Once my breakfast was ready I took that in the vehicle with me and ate it as I talked with my mom to let her know I was leaving this spot.  I would like to note that now that I am back on birth control I received my period and for the first time ever I have cramps and believe me I feel bad for those women who have to deal cramps every single time! All I have to say is that it better leave quickly.  The drive to Port Angeles was only about thirty minutes and as I pulled into the temporary visitor center their sign lied for there was no parking for an RV or camper anywhere.  So I took up multiple spots and in I went to ask my million questions to the poor unsuspecting employee.

When I was done interrogating the poor guy I bought my sticker and a few post cards then I filled up all my water bottles in the outdoor sink.  Leaving the visitor center, I drove towards the national park gate to do my hike.  While driving on this pristine, clear fall day my best friend, Stacie, called me so we chatted as I drove.  While we were talking I noticed that I had less then a quarter tank of gas left but I figured I should be able to make it; however, it was further than I anticipated and so I turned around and was hoping to make it to the gas station in time.  During this time, Stacie was chastising me like my mother would and it was absolutely hilarious!  Round 2, went better now that I had a full tank and I again spoke with Stacie until I lost service on the drive up the mountain.  As I reached the trail head I soon found out that there were in fact two trail heads for this particular trail and I was at the wrong one.  I was so busy talking with my friend that I had not paid attention to the map and the trail head I needed was down below before I even entered the park gate!    Well I was here, it was around noon, and I was not about to drive back down so I decided to see how this one went.

Immediately, the hike shot uphill and into switchbacks but surprisingly I was not that tried nor out of breath.  I can feel myself getting stronger with these workouts and eating right.  The trail itself was narrow and mostly open on the side of a mountain which offered up a beautiful view of the surrounding snow-capped mountains.  It was a clear, sunny day and hiking I was quite warm but never too tired.  As I neared the top of the Klahhane Ridge my path began to have snow and as I hiked over the crescent the site that was bestowed upon my eyes was riveting!  I was looking out over the mountain and a colorful valley into the port and beyond into Canada at the snow covered peak of  Mount Baker.  I stood for some time taking it all in and then continued onward.  I didn't make it far though for as soon as my trail became covered completely in snow five huge mountain goats blocked my path and started their way towards me!  I stood there contemplating my options and then slowly backed away and decided that my hike was now over.  I stood for awhile overlooking my first viewpoint of the area and felt utterly happy to the point tears threatened to fall from my happiness.  All in all it was only about a four mile hike but I think an unexpected surprise.

At the trail head, I spoke to a guy who I had met on the trail and was interested in my trip and my camper and so I gave him my blog address.  From there I drove to a Walmart where I had planned on staying the night.  As I arrived I went in to get some supplies and since the woman in front of me was going so slow they kindly moved me to another register and verified that I could spend the night in the lot.  Since I have been having so many issues sleeping I bought some Uni-some sleep aids and took one after I ate a big salad for lunch.  It wasn't long afterwards, around 17:30, that I went to sleep only waking up twice and then didn't wake up again until 06:00!


 

my trail




No comments:

Post a Comment