Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Day 151

November 6, 2017                                                                                                         Day 151

There is no point in continuing what we already know about how my nights go. Last night was spent in the Walmart parking lot and over the night it had snowed about an inch or so.  Winter has truly hit Montana and my vehicle was covered in about an inch or so of snow which prompted me to drive closer to the Walmart entrance and purchase an ice scraper; mine is in Wisconsin.  Back at my camper,  I drove towards the Kim Williams Nature Trail with the temperatures in the low to mid-twenties but the day was sunny and Missoula is quite a beautiful city.

When I parked I called my mom up to let her know where I was, since she had asked me to do so, and we began talking about the work being done back home on the house and up at the shack.  We talked as I walked on the snow and ice covered path next to the river that ran thru the city.  Once we hung up I went underneath a bridge where there was no snow or ice and did a Core de Force MMA Shred workout.  I have to say I kind of felt like Rocky Balboa working out on the city streets throwing punches; though, with only ten minutes left of the workout I had to call it quits for I was not feeling well.

At my vehicle, I tried to not think about how I felt and drank some cranberry juice and yes I did take a shot of tequila while I changed my clothes.  I then got back on the road, staying on the interstate where there was less snow, driving towards Bozeman.  As I drove, I started to feel better and I drank lots of water so I was stopping at every rest area.  At one stop, I got out and a guy commented on how dirty my camper was due to the snow and dirt from the road and I laughed and said yep and continued inside.  When I came back out he was still there and started a conversation with me while I stood there in the cold.  He was heavier set man with no hair but a few strands on the back of his head.  The conversation was okay but then he became the first true creepy guy I have met on my trip and he wasn't even that bad he just made comments about Victoria Secret lingerie and how I must be breaking a lot of hearts on the road.  Eventually he left and I could fill up my water bottles, make salad dressing in my vehicle and eat a salad.

Before leaving the rest area my phone acquired some cell service and I received a text message of a voicemail from a company my mom had told me about that is located in Victor, Montana and builds tear drops.  I called the man, George, back and found he has traveled for 18 years in a tear drop and now builds them.  He got right down to business addressing my heating issues and tole me the only two things he has found to ever work.  One was to buy a 12 volt auto defroster/heater and run it for a few minutes before bed and waking up.  The other was an electric blanket but I already have a kick ass sleeping bag.  Then he told me that when I get home to give him a call and he will tell me exactly what I need to buy to redo the exterior of my camper so that it will last.  He spoke clearly and made it so I could understand. To top it all off he told me that if I broke down before I got home that now matter where I am to call him and he will come and pick both my camper and I up!  The pure generosity and kindness of people I meet constantly blows my mind!

After our conversation, I got back on the road and drove to Bozeman.  The snow there is at least a couple inches deep if not a foot and I headed (per Georges suggestion) to Harbor Freight where I acquired the 12 volt heater and a red Jerry gas can that I found they had.  Then I decided after driving to a rest area and being completely froze just walking to the bathroom that I would break down and spend the money to get a hotel for two night so I could shower and not freeze to death. I made a reservation at a Days Inn for $59.00 per night.

I pulled into the ice covered lot and packed up my backpack and two bags of food and dirty dishes.  Opening up the door to my room I was amazed for it was better than I was anticipating.  I had a TV, microwave, refrigerator and a desk.  Immediately I turned the heater up to 80 degrees and took an amazing hot shower!  I then spend the night laying in bed watching TV, drinking tequila and eating some food. Oh to be warm and clean is Heaven.



No comments:

Post a Comment