Friday, April 20, 2018

Day 180

April 1, 2018                                                                                                                 Day 180

HAPPY EASTER!!!! 

My alarm sounded at 06:00...BURRR!!!  It was freezing outside of my sleeping bag so I maneuvered within it to put my clothes on.  I was in my vehicle by 06:10 with the heat cranked full blast trying to warm myself up.  Once I warmed up I washed my face and applied some makeup.  One look at my hair though told me it would need more work this morning.  I backed up my camper and parked closer to the rest area...yes, I am that lazy and cold.  Inside I sprayed dry shampoo in my hair until I was satisfied or at least realized it was not going to get any better.

With the sun coming up behind me I drove into St. Louis, MO taking the back roads which made it a lovely morning drive.  At 07:45 I was on the Leonor Blvd which I was told to be on for RV parking via the websites directions and those of the woman I spoke to yesterday at the visitor information number.  However, the road just ended and there were no signs for bus or RV parking so thankfully my camper is small and I am able to almost jackknife it and turn around.  Driving around I noticed a sign that said "levee parking this way" so I followed that.  There was another sign that said $5.00 to park but there was no one in the booth so I continued on the road.  This road was directly below the Leonor Blvd and literally right on the water.  This so-called road was at such an angle that I thought my camper would tip over at any moment.  Eventually, I decided that this must be the parking so I parked quite haphazardly.

As I parked, my older brother texted me seeing if I wanted to Skype the family.  Since I had time to kill before my tour I said yes. It was nice to be able to talk and see them all for I was passed from Matt (my older brother), to my mom, to Alix (my youngest niece), to my grandma, then to my dad and finally back to my older brother.  We skyped until I had to get going to figure out where I needed to be for my tour.

I ascended the stairs that led from the waters edge up to the arch which was directly above me.  The wind was howling something fierce and it was cold out so I was ready to be inside as quickly as possible.  At the visitor center, I stood in line outside until the security line opened up and everyone filed thru.  Inside I used the restroom, bought a sticker and a postcard at the gift shop and asked a girl...or maybe it was a guy?  not quite sure but in either case I asked about my ticket.  Once I figured out where I needed to be I was given the number 4 and grouped with four other people.  As we stood in front of a little door with the number 6 on it the door opened into what I can only describe as a space pod...at least what I think one would like it.  There were five small seats situated in a semi circle and with one look at the small enclosed space one of the men declined the ride up due to not liking small enclosed spaces.  Five people my size could barely fit in this "space pod" and I don't recall reading any where on the website where it mentions how small the tram is. I feel as though this is something they should specify on the site for if there are larger people four of them would not be able to fit and like for this guy who feared small spaces he cannot get is money back and had to wait in a long line to go thru security only to end up not being able to make the trip. 

The ride up was four minutes and one could on see through the door to the inside of the arch which I thought was interesting to see.  The "space pod" took me up 630 feet to the center of the arch where 27'' by 7'' windows were situated  so that one could look out to the river on one side and to the city on the other side.  Once up there, I decided to Skype my family so that they could also experience it with me.  It was pretty cool being able to show them what I was seeing and they passed the phone around so that everyone was able to look.  I did not think to bring my headphones so I could not really hear anything they said but I still thought it was a nice experience.   I would love to have someone to experience these things with.

The ride back down was only three minutes and as I stepped out of the "space pod" I went and watched a 30 minute video on how the arch was built.  From there I walked down to my vehicle to eat two clementines and one hard boiled egg.  Afterwards, I walked around on the paths located around the arch and went to check out the Old Courthouse.  It was a stately building with phenomenal architecture and the cast iron staircase inside is the original from the 1800s!  There were four levels but we only had access to the first three levels. 

Leaving the courthouse, I had time to kill until my river cruise at 13:30 which I wasted walking around and thinking that although I am having a great time I feel so lonely and wish I was here with someone.  I need to get back to that point in time when I feel like I don't need anyone for I am tired of always feeling too much and nothing ever coming from it.  I hope with time I will go back to not feeling anything.  In  the meantime, the river cruise was nothing special and I would not do it again.

Back at my vehicle, I warmed up and got back on the road to try and beat the storm clouds that were fast approaching.  Weather undergound mentioned that St. Louis is supposed to get snow and though where I am heading in southern Illinois it is to rain I would rather have rain then snow.  When will warm weather be here?  As I drove the one and half hours south the storm clouds lingered overhead and I knew it was only a matter of time before it would start raining.  While I drove, my dad in Florida called me and we talked about computers for I am in desperate need of a new laptop.  As I told him I am about to throw mine out onto the road and run it over :)

Turning onto Ozark Road, heading into the Shawnee National Forest, I have to say that although the rain finally caught up with me it is a beautiful area.  The cherry trees are all in bloom and the lawns and fields are covered in a rich, dark green grass...no doubt due to all the rain.  I turned onto the road that would lead me to Jackson Falls and it was one hellacious road!  Potholes were everywhere, rivers flowed down the road and no matter how slow I went my poor camper was bouncing all over the place.  It was a dreary evening and by now it was getting to be quite late: 18:00.  Reaching the trail head to Jackson Falls the road was blocked by a river of water that had formed from all the rain so I had to turn around and drive all the way back out on that horrible road.

My next and somewhat last option was Red Bud-Bell Smith Springs Rec Area Campground in Ozark, Illinois.  The road started off as paved and then abruptly turned into a dirt road laden with holes and puddles and then went paved again.  I pulled in around 19:00 and there was only one other camper there and no cell phone service.  I picked a site and in the pouring rain set up my KingCamp canopy over my camper to help with the rain.  By now I was pretty wet for my jacket is a piece of shit that does nothing to keep me dry.  Before crawling into my camper for the night I drove up the road some until I reached enough service to call my mom and let her know where I was staying.  Then I wrote in my journal and went to bed.















No comments:

Post a Comment