Thursday, April 26, 2018

Day 194

April 15, 2018                                                                                                     Day 194

I was very relaxed when I woke up this morning and after stretching I jumped into the shower while he made us coffee and breakfast.  Since I have never heard of fried apples he was making me some to try.  The coffee was nice and strong just the way I enjoy it and when the food was done it was delicious.  We sat and ate at the bar area and continued to talk about anything and everything.  Today we were going to drive about two hours away to hike Klaymore Mine which he had been to before and figured I would enjoy.

I changed into hiking clothes, loaded up my pack and we got into his van.  The drive was nice for I was finally just a passenger and able to soak in the landscape of West Virginia which is rugged and wild looking; the water seems to be pouring forth from the ground at every given point.  We drove past the capital building and stopped at Glen Ferris to see some waterfalls at a dam which was pretty neat.  From there we continued an additional forty-five minutes to see the New River Gorge Bridge which was a spectacular site due to its size.  Then we parked his van and began hiking the Klaymore Mine trail which would end up being about a five mile hike.

Many times throughout the hike we were climbing over fallen trees and navigating ruble but it was an enjoyable hike and honestly it was nice to be able to go hiking with someone.  At the mine, we descended 800 steps to the abandon buildings and railroad cars below.  While exploring down there it started to rain and as we ascended the 800 steps back up the rain started to come down harder and harder.  He had no problem going up the steps but my legs were shaking and I had to stop and catch my breath.  At the top, the rain started to really come down and though we were soaking wet it did not bother us at all and actually I think it made it even better.  It was awesome that he did not mind being soaking wet and was enjoying it just as much as I was.  The hike itself was a nice hike but I think what really made it was the company for we talked the entire way.

At the van we both changed into dry shirts though honestly I don't think it helped any for our bottoms were completely drenched and the dry shirts were now just soaking up the water from them.  We were starving and he knew of a specialty pizza place nearby called Pies and Pints so we headed there.  We ordered a large pizza with one half being a mushroom garlic with roasted mushrooms, feta, roasted and fresh garlic, caramelized onions, olive oil and fresh herbs and the other half was a chicken gouda with marinated grilled chicken, apple-wood smoked bacon, smoked gouda, red onions, chipotle cream and scallions.  It was freaking awesome!  The beers we had were also very delicious for mine tasted like a candy bar.

As we stood up from out seats there were puddles of water where we had sat and stepping back outside we were freezing.  In the van again he blasted the heat to warm us up and we headed back to his place.  When we got back I changed into warm, dry clothes and we spent the rest of the evening on the coach watch Land of the Lost.






No comments:

Post a Comment