Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Day 189

April 10, 2018                                                                                                           Day 189

I woke up to the wonderful melody of birds...spring may finally be here!  I slept so well last night with no bad dreams which was great.  As I opened my door and peered out into the early morning mist that still clung to the lush green hills of the park I couldn't help but get excited for the day ahead. Out of my sleeping bag I made coffee and then drove down to the camp store this time to try my luck with the showers in the building closest to the store.

Upon entering I could feel the heat so that was a good sign.  Turning on the faucet the water that came out was hot, thank god.  Standing under the hot spray my body relaxed and I just soaked it all in.  Sigh.  I am pretty sure I stayed in the shower for around fifteen minutes and upon getting dressed blow dried and straightened my hair.  As I was finishing up with my makeup a guy yelled "hello" into the bathroom to which I replied, "yes?"  He then went on to ask me, "You about done in there?"  It was his tone that irritated me and I am sorry but I have not showered in some time and will go as slow as I damn well please for I paid to stay here! 

Leaving the shower area a little perturbed I walked into the camp store to pay for my Kentucky Horse Park ticket for I receive a discount if I buy it from the campground.  I also ended up paying to stay another night at the park just so I didn't have to worry about looking for somewhere to stay the night.  At my camper, I was shocked by how nice it was outside for I didn't even need a jacket; however, it would not be a prelude to a beautiful day.  Before driving to the park I made some oatmeal and ate it while listening to all the birds around me.  At 09:30 am I headed to the park entrance which was only located five minutes away if that.

There were only a handful of vehicles and a huge empty lot.  Just the way I like it!  I stopped first at the museum where I spoke to an older man who was there to answer any questions I may have.  After asking a question about the park map I found out he is an army veteran.  We talked for a little bit then I started looking at the museum; however, before I got too far I went back outside to walk to the Hall of Champions where there was to be a show at 10:00.  During the few hours from morning the sun disappeared and the temperature dropped making it quite cold out.  At the Hall of Champions we were shown some beautiful racehorses who had had a great career.  The first one was called, "Go for Gin", and he was a thoroughbred bay stallion who won at the Remsen Stakes, Chief's Crown stakes, Preview Stakes and the Kentucky Derby.  He is also the oldest living Kentucky Derby winner in North America at the ripe old age of 29.  The next one was "Da Hoss" a thoroughbred bay gelding who is one of only 18 horses to win two Breeders' Cup races, only gelding to win two Breeders' cup, first horse to win two Breeders' cup in consecutive years and world record for a 2 year old going 6 furlongs (1:07:1/5).  The third one was "Funny Cide" a thoroughbred chestnut gelding.  He has won the Eclipse Award for 3 year old male of the year, the first New York-bred to do so, U.S. Champion 3-year-old Male (2003), first gelding to win the Kentucky Derby since 1929 among others.  I want to say there was another one but I honestly can not remember.

After that twenty minute show I walked to the next show at the Breeds Barn where they showed four breeds: Akhal-Teke, American Morgan Horse, Gypsy Vanner and a Haflinger.  Next, was a show at the Big Barn with a Shire Horse.  At this point, I was so cold I could think of nothing else so I hiked it back to the museum.  There I would be for the next three hours reading up on the history of horses and the role they played throughout history.  I debated going to the mounted police barn but I was so cold I couldn't so I went and blasted the heat in my vehicle while I looked for  place to get a drink and some food.

I settled on Goodfellas Distillery in Lexington and drove the 12 minutes there.  It was pretty empty but it was a Tuesday and only 16:00 so I was not expecting too much.  The inside was nice and had the rustic warehouse vibe going for it.  I ordered a slice of pizza and a bread stick the length of my arm and then went and sat at the bar where I ordered a bourbon drink they had on the menu.  I was not a big fan of the drink so the next thing I ordered was a brandy old fashion. Sitting there by myself I was somewhat bored and my phone was about to die also so it was not like I could just play on that.  By the time I decided I was going to leave after my third drink the bar was filling up.  As I sipped my last drink, my tab already paid, a guy sat down next to me and started talking to me.  He asked if I was just sitting here by myself having an old fashion (he was drinking the same thing) and when I said yes he told me that was pretty awesome.  We began talking away and before too long our drinks were empty but still we talked.  He asked if I had plans after Goodfellas and since I didn't he invited me to go check out a comedy club.

I followed him in my vehicle to the comedy club which turned out be a bust so we walked to a bar nearby to have a drink.  It was only around 20:00 and the next bar had a beer that smelled exactly like weed and they were playing Independence Day on the TV.   The conversation continued to flow and after two more drinks I needed to stop drinking and get back to my campsite.  Before we parted ways we exchanged numbers and planned to get breakfast next the morning before I headed out of town.  Back at my camper it was peaceful and silent so it did not take me long to pass out; especially, since I went from drinking liquor to beer which makes me tired.





Go for Gin


Funny Cide





No comments:

Post a Comment