Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Day 185

April 6, 2018                                                                                                           Day 185

Last night I had yet another bad dream.  This time I was in a helicopter, on one of those tourist rides, with my older brother.  The pilot took us so close to the water filled, neigh invested, with alligators that the helicopter crashed.  As soon as we hit the water everyone was scrambling to unhook themselves and swim as fast as they could to safety and avoid being eaten.  As I was swimming I realized my brother was not with me so I stopped swimming and began to desperately search for him.  It was then, as I turned back to the helicopter that I saw him being torn apart by the alligators and screaming for me to help him.  It was to his screaming that I woke up in tears.  What do all these horrible dreams  that I keep having mean?

Thankfully, I was able to go back to sleep for a little bit and when I woke again the sun was shining and it was a little warmer out.  Though my heart was heavy from the nightmare the campground was beautiful with the morning light shining through the trees and the birds singing lightly in the trees.  As I ate my oatmeal on a picnic table a white-breasted nuthatch almost landed right on me and stayed close to me while I ate.  With my breakfast finished I changed into my hiking clothes and prepped my pack for a day underground.  I was meeting up at Shelter B at 09:40 to do the Grand Avenue tour which is a four mile and about four hour tour in the caves. 

It was only going on 08:00 so I figured I had time to get some hiking in before the tour began.  I drove to the visitor center where I parked my camper and took off on the  Green River Bluffs Trail.  The trail turned out to be beautiful and I was pleased that I decided to hike it.  The only other people on the trail were two women and their two dogs.  It was early morning and I scared off a doe that was nearby.  From that trail I connected with the Echo River Spring Trail, after I saw the River Styx, and then jumped on the sinkhole trail where I hightailed it to the visitor center!  I practically ran the last leg of the hike thinking I was going to miss my tour.  Thankfully, I made it with minutes to spare.

Our tour guide was an older gentleman who looked liked someone who had served due to his statue, crop trim haircut and his attitude.  His name was John and he informed us that he used to be a high school drama teacher. By looking at him one would not have seen it but when he spoke his was clear, strong and could be heard from some distance away.  Right from the beginning I liked him...he seemed kind.  It amazes me how with some people one immediately feels comfortable around as if one has known them for years. When he informed us this would be very a strenuous and more of a walking tour then a talking tour I do not believe the boy-scouts that were with us were paying attention.

The first mile underground was okay yet it wasn't until the last mile that I really enjoyed the tour.  I think it may have been better had those kids not been there.  They kept pushing everyone around and jumping in front of people and then going back again.  They also screamed and talked rudely so for me it ruined the experience.  Especially at the one point where John told everyone to sit silently as they shut off the lights so we could experience "true" darkness.  They were not quite once throughout that time period.  When we exited the cave we rode on buses back to the visitor center where I bought a sticker for my cooler and called mom to let her know I made it out.

After eating a hard boiled egg and a clementine I drove to the shower area and paid $3.00 for about an eight minute shower.  This was my first shower since March 27th and it felt amazing!  I even blow dried my hair and straightened it before getting in my vehicle and driving towards Cumberland Falls State Resort Park about two hours away.  I did cave in and stopped at Wendy's to get some food more so as a comfort then being really hungry.  I still can not shake this feeling of wanting this trip over with and tired of being alone. 

In any case, I  pulled into Barren Fork Horse Camp in Stearns, KY and chose a site.  It was about to snow/rain so I quickly setup my canopy and got it up just as the first drop of rain fell.  As it poured outside I sat in my camper talking to my parents before I wrote in my journal and went to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment