Sunday, July 8, 2018

Day 257

June 17, 2018                                                                                                      Day 257

I was up early again at around 05:00 am upon which I soon left the Walmart parking lot and headed forty minutes to the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge.  The drive was a nice one that took me through small coastal towns. For some reason I really like the feel and look of these towns with their signs advertising fresh seafood and usually in the form of a boat helm, dolphin, ship, etc. Compared to towns that focus on black bears and the wooded cities.

Anyway, I arrived very early and as soon as I stepped out I could feel the mosquitos, so I put on my lemon eucalyptus bug spray and continued to get my pack ready.  When I started out the mosquitoes were so terrible I just threw my sandwich out for it was like eating bugs with every bite.  I also took out the 100% DEET and sprayed myself down with that but to no avail.  They just kept on coming and coming…they were relentless!  In total I did 4.5 miles of hiking hell.  I started out on the Wildlife loop, then connected to the Black Duck Trail, Woodland Trail and back again.  There were so many mosquitoes they were bouncing off of me!  Near the end of the hike I had so much DEET on me I wondered how much until one can be poisoned or sickened by the chemicals.   In all of my suffering I only saw two wild ponies from such a distance my camera could barely make them out.  I couldn’t finish the hike fast enough. 

Afterwards, I drove to the end where there was a beach and went and laid down on the beach from 09:00 am until 12:00.  It was a hot day with barely any wind and though the ocean was refreshing it was so cold it took my breath away, so I only went in once.  While at the beach I talked to my dad in Florida and wished him a Happy Father’s Day.  We talked for a while and I also spoke with my mom.  Leaving the beach, I decided since it was on the way to hit the northern part of Assateague Island in hopes of catching a glimpse of the ponies I drove so far to see.

The Assateague Island was more for beachgoers and campers, so I did a small marsh walk (0.5 miles) which reminded me of being back in South Carolina.  As I was leaving the park upset that I had seen no ponies I FINALLY saw some!  Thank you!!!  There were a handful of them right alongside the roadway, so I was able to turn around and take some pictures.  From there I continued north to the Cracker Barrel in Rehbooth, DE for I was going to eat and spend the night there.  Originally, I was thinking of doing a food tour here but in the hopes of saving some money I decided not to.  The food was okay, but I am not a huge fan of Southern home cooking with all the grease unless it is actually made at someone’s house; if that makes sense.  I cannot complain though for it only cost me $10.00 to eat.

Back at my camper I talked with Jason about my trip for the other day it really hit me that I want to go back to his place and just join him in his RV.  For one it would be more feasible then trying to drive two vehicles everywhere, would hopefully save money and would be a new experience.  The reason I did not just stay and wait to join him before was due to the fact that he had no idea when he would be laid off from work and I did not want to wait around for weeks.  I was itching to get back on the road.    I also felt as though I needed to finish the trip in my teardrop camper and that if I joined him in his RV it would no longer be my trip.  However, as both my parents informed me my trip is about me experiencing new things it is not about my camper.  Looking at camping in the Northeast it would also make sense to share the cost instead of trying to find two spots at every location and spending more money.  I just hope it is the right decision….











No comments:

Post a Comment