Sunday, July 8, 2018

Day 271

July 1, 2018                                                                                                     Day 271

This morning we got up and after some breakfast began picking things up to get back on the road.  It was a beautiful day and we didn’t have a clear destination in mind since I didn’t want to deal with looking things up anymore.  However, he didn’t seem to have the same mind of just flowing with what happens so I then spent more time on my phone looking up hikes.  I picked some random hike and we headed toward the Catskills Mountains about two hours away.  The drive there was pretty pleasant.

The hike I had settled on was the Wittenburg Cornell slide trail which was a 4.8-mile loop near Branch, New York.  The hike kind of sucked for I was breathing so hard and moving so slow I could feel my heart pounding in my head which gave me a migraine.  It was all uphill and Jason had to keep waiting for me so I felt like I was slowing him down.  Then when we made it to the top the view was blocked by trees.  Going down was somewhat better for we played the animal guessing game I used to always play as a child on the long rides to Chicago where I would catch the plane to Florida.  When the downhill turned from soft forest floor to rocks my knee started acting up again but I was able to push through.  The hike which was supposed to be 4.8 miles somehow turned into 6.8 miles so I don’t know if Strava really is accurate.

Upon finishing the hike I was soaking wet with sweat and had an ice cream bar, that was so freaking good, before hitting the road.  From the trail parking we just started driving to hit a RV dump to get rid of our waste.  It took a while but we finally found one for $6.00.  The day was winding down to be a beautiful one.  I did not have cell service but thankfully Jason did and using one of his free camping sites he was able to find us a spot to park at for the evening.  The drive to the site was quite interesting for there were so many amazing and unique houses.  Every house or cabin was unique and cute in its own way that it was difficult to decide on which side of the road to look at.  We drove through a very hip town where we talked about stopping but didn’t.  We saw a porcupine on the road and baby hooded mergansers frolicking in the bubbly stream full of fly fisherman.  It was all quite enjoyable.  Once we were parked we showered, ate and watched a movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment