Saturday, July 28, 2018

Day 293

July 23, 2018                                                                                                        Day 293

The fog was thick once more; yet, today we planned to hike the Beehive loop and the Gorham mountain trial no matter what.  While I got ready, Jason went inside to Dunkin Donuts to acquire muffins and donuts which we ate before heading back into Acadia National Park.  Thankfully, due to it being a Monday and also foggy out there were not too many people yet, so we were able to find parking in the lot past the trailhead.

The trail wasn’t too bad I just hate that I always feels so out of shape when there is no reason for me to be.  Hiking used to be my thing but now I am always fighting for air and have also taken to wearing a brace for my knee.   I don’t know what the cause of it is but since starting back on my trip at the end of June, every time we do a hike my knees are in horrible pain.  Usually, I am good for a few miles but as soon as I start going downhill or hiking too many miles my knee has shooting pain going through it to where when the hike is over I am limping around.  It also sounds like someone is crinkling wrapping paper when I attempt to do a catchers stance up and down quickly.

It didn’t help my mood any that this hike was known for its’ stellar views, but the fog was so thick one couldn’t see anything.  The humidity was horrible to the point where one could feel it clinging to one’s skin.  Thankfully Jason remained in good spirits so that aided me in dealing with everything and helped put me in a good mood also.  When we got to the Beehive loop we seemed to be going the opposite direction as everyone else.  Where we were climbing down they were climbing up which resulted in us having to stop often to let them thru.  Going down seemed to go by so quickly and was a lot easier in my opinion then going up would have been. By the time the hike was over the trail was quite crowded with people, so we were both happy to get back to the camper.  In total we hiked 4.24 miles on that hike.

Afterwards, I made us a shake before we started driving in the direction of Bar Harbor.  When we pulled into the RV parking area the sun was finally out but we both felt so exhausted for some reason; therefore, we took a nap.  Once we were up (though I never really fell asleep) we walked around Bar Harbor going into all the little shops.  I really enjoy seeing what is in each shop for one always finds something unique.  In one store I bought a rope sling bag I had been looking for and spoke with my older brother.  Then we stepped into an art gallery where I fell in complete love with two paintings that I was just about to spend money on until we walked out.  It was probably not a good idea to spend money on something when I have nowhere to put the said items…. though I still really want those two beautiful paintings of ships on the water.


Leaving Bar Harbor, we drove to Seal Cove where there were reports of seals; however, as expected we did not see any seals.  The hike was beautiful though and we did another two miles thru a pine and cedar forest covered in green moss.  From there we drove back to the same Walmart to buy a pizza and a movie “Rampage” which we watched after taking a wonderful shower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment