Saturday, July 28, 2018

Day 289

July 19, 2018                                                                                                     Day 289

I was a little tired this morning, but we got up and had oatmeal with coffee before getting the RV ready for the road.  It was a beautiful summer day with a high of only 76 degrees F when we pulled out of the Walmart and headed to Camden Hills State Park, 25 minutes away.

After parking we set out on the Maiden Cliff Trial which was supposed to about 1.7 miles with 731 feet of elevation gain; however, like most of my hikes it was longer.  At the summit we then continued along to Mount Megunticook for an overlook of Acadia National Park and desert island in the distance.  During the hike I saw three small snakes, a toad which we saved from being trampled on by children, and lots of red squirrels.  The views were wonderful, and the woods smelled so fragrant of pine trees.  It was a tough climb and at the end my knee was giving out on the descent, but it felt great to be hiking again.   In total we did 6.7 miles in 2.18 hours with 2, 025 feet of elevation gain.


Back at the RV we drove towards a Walmart north of us taking in the views.  Along the way we passed a sign mentioning Sears Island, so we decided to pull into the causeway and have a look.  There I ate the rest of my lobster roll, we took a nap and then got the bikes out and explored for 7.6 miles.   I think I may have made some progress on the bike, but I am by no means comfortable on one and when we went off road I hit a rock causing the pedal to ram into my shin.  Afterwards, I made us shakes and we pulled into a little clamming area off of the causeway where we spent the evening.









No comments:

Post a Comment