Saturday, July 28, 2018

Day 284

July 14, 2018                                                                                                       Day 284

Our alarms sounded at 05:00 am so that I could shower and make sure we got to the Kingston commuter rail station on time to catch the 07:00 am train into South Station in Boston, Massachusetts.  I was in charge of all the travel arrangements so I had about three apps downloaded on my phone.  I had one to pay for the parking ($4.00 per day), one for our train tickets and another for getting around the city via public transportation.

On the train, Jason slept and I made sure we got off at South Station and walked us through Chinatown to the orange line where Jason took care of the $5.50 roundtrip tickets for both of us to take the metro to the Samuel Adams Brewery.  The tour was at 09:30 am (Morning Mashup) and we were about half an hour early so we walked around some until it opened.  The tour itself was brief with only two parts and honestly not that great of a tour until we got to the tasting room where our guide was hilarious and drinking with us.  I never liked Samuel Adams beer; yet, these were phenomenal and Jason and I found out that that bottle produces a different taste and one we do not like compared to the draft.  We received a free tasting glass and were told about a shuttle that would take us to a bar called Doyles where we could get a pint glass if we ordered a beer.  So to the bar we went...at 10:00 in the morning! Hahaha.

At the bar we ordered a small 12inch pizza but when it came out it was huge! There was no way we could eat it all so Jason saw a guy that was on our tour and invited him over to eat with us.  When our server came back we asked her if the pizza we ordered was a small or the large and she was like, "oh, theres two different sizes??" haha she was hilarious, sweet and loud.  She reminded me of the mom from Meet the Fockers to a tee with her accent, motherliness and attitude!  I just wanted to squeeze her she was so cute!  After drinking a delicious cherry wheat beer and her wrapping our food in tinfoil so that we could put it in our packs we headed out.

We took the metro back into Boston and started walking on the freedom trail which was a 2.5 mile trail through historic Boston.  To get into Paul Reveries house we had to pay so we didn't do that and the USS Constitution museum required a donation so we did not do that either.  Instead we mostly walked around and got on the USS Constitution ship.  We then went to Bunker Hill and climbed the 295 steps to the top after laying in the grass some.  From there we went to Mike's Pastry and ordered a few canolies which Jason was not a fan of and I thought were not too bad.  The next train didn't leave until 20:00 so we sat at a table people watching while drinking a beer until our train.

I think Boston is such a beautiful city and has the small town feel to it.  It didn't become crowded with people until the late afternoon and it was relaxing walking among the cobblestone streets and seeing the ports filled with boats.  Flowers were in bloom everywhere and we hardly noticed any homeless people which was so much better than New York City.  I only hope that Jason is also enjoying it like I am.  We passed another evening at the Walmart in Plymouth.

P.S. I have a lot of pictures on my phone that I would like to add to this blog but for some reason my phone is not connecting with my computer and updating the pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment