Sunday, July 8, 2018

Day 259

June 19, 2018                                                                                                  Day 259


Thankfully I was not bothered last night and slept all night until 05:00 am.  After I got dressed, by the way I would like to point out how hard it is to put on capris when your legs are sticky due to humidity, I walked to the Starbucks to order a delicious Frappuccino. I had planned to do some work there; however, I could not connect to the internet.  Therefore, I had to drive and park closer to the main building where I spent the next couple hours in my vehicle talking to Jason and working on my coaching business.

When it was almost 10:00 I drove to Nemours Estate in Wilmington, DE.  The older lady at the front desk was sweet but spoke very slow and I could tell that she was having a hard time understanding the questions I was asking her about the Estate.  To any affect I paid $18.00 to enter the mansion and gardens and I also signed up for an hour tour at 11:00 that was included in the price.  I watched a 20-minute video on the life of Alfred I. duPont who built the 77-room mansion, the largest formal French gardens in North America, on nearly 3,000 acres.  He built the mansion in order to win the love of his second wife and although she did not love him they still married.  After her sudden death he married the “love of his life,” Jessie who was 20 years his junior.  Alfred was a genius and helped develop over 200 patents and modernized many things in the mansion.  Above all else he was kind and still worked alongside those he grew up with in the yard for gun powder.

The woman doing the tour was very nice and informative, reminding me of an old Italian lady…maybe an older version of Fran Drescher, and walked us through the first floor and the basement.  The house was lavish and unique since the duPonts decorated more with things they liked rather than what was expensive or in style.  They wanted to build a home rather than a museum.  The gardens were stunning, and one seemed to sink in the rich green grass.  I would have loved to live in this period of time to see what it would have been like.  By the time I finished with the mansion it was around 13:00. When I got to my vehicle and went to eat some yogurt and juice I found my yogurt to be warm and it had gone bad.  Everything in my cooler was bad due to the heat and the fact I hadn’t purchased ice.  Not really having much else to do I started back in the direction of Jason’s house about 7 hours away.

The drive was nothing spectacular and I spent the majority of the time on the phone talking with Jason, mom and my dad in Wisconsin along with my dad in Florida since it was his birthday today.  I do still have apprehensions with meeting up with Jason mostly due to the fact that every time I was supposed to travel or do something with someone it fell through.  Also, I already miss my camper just thinking about leaving it behind!    I can’t see why it would not work out traveling with him for we have gotten along well so far; yet, the hesitation remains.  I finally arrived at 23:30.














 





No comments:

Post a Comment