Saturday, July 28, 2018

Day 285

July 15, 2018                                                                                                        Day 285

I didn't sleep so well last night although it was cool out and so come morning I was quite tired.  After showering and making us shakes we drove to the Kingston Station lot and caught the 07:00 am rail into South Station.  Upon leaving the station we walked fifteen minutes the Boston Harbor Cruises and had our tickets scanned.  We proceeded to impatiently stand in line until they allowed us to board the ferry.  Our seat was outside on the top deck where we had decent views boating about the harbor into the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary.  The ride was about 1.5 hours and thankfully neither one of us became seasick though the girls around us did.

Arriving at the sanctuary I spotted my first wild whale and first minke, fin and humpback whale.  The humpback whale was a female called Kudo (probably spelled that wrong) and was thought to be at least thirty years old if not older.  it was amazing seeing them but for some reason I though we would see more or get closer for we only saw the fin and tail of them not the heads or anything else.  We only stayed out for about thirty minutes and then had to drive back.  Not quite sure it was worth the $111.00 I paid for both of us do that.

Once we docked we walked over to a restaurant called Row 34 where we were to meet Katie: a woman I knew and worked with back in Charleston, South Carolina at Langdon's Restaurant and Wine Bar.  She also was one of the wonderfully amazing people who let me stay with them when I was homeless during a difficult time in my life.  I could literally never thank her enough!  She was also extremely helpful in providing information on transportation into Boston and things to do and see while in the area.  I love that during my trip I have been able to reconnect with people I have not seen in quite some time!  Conversation was pleasant and seeing her so healthy and happy really pleased me and on top of it all the food was beyond amazing! It reminded me of Charleston for we had oysters on the half shell, heirloom tomato salad with ricotta salsa, basil and toasted pine nuts; we also had tuna crud with black garlic and avocado, and I believe a salmon poke with seaweed chips. For our main dish I had the smoked salmon and avocado toast brioche with sunny side eggs and a mimosa.  It was truly divine and the best meal hands down that I have had since leaving Charleston!  I am literally still dreaming of this meal and as I write this my mouth is watering just thinking about how great it was.  From there we took the metro over to Cambridge to see Harvard Square which is truly a beautiful campus.  The day was a lot hotter and humid compared to yesterday and I was sweaty and a bit uncomfortable.  Back at the station we said our goodbye and I really do hope we can keep in touch!  I know I need to get better at keeping in touch with people...I am the worst.

Jason and I were able to catch the 17:20 train back to Kingston station so thankfully we did not have to wait around all day for a train.  Back at the camper we left the parking lot and drove back to the Walmart where I showered and put aloe on the rash that had appeared during the day on my neck.  We watched Meet the Fockers (I had to show Jason who our server had reminded me of ;) ) and then went to sleep.  All in all it was a truly beautiful day and I look forward to visiting Boston again in the future.















No comments:

Post a Comment